Virgin queen flew away during inspection; lost her?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It can be if it is the stronger rigid type but you don't need it now !!!
Sure. I don’t know any other type other than the Torne’s plastic ones and that’s the one I have to spare, but they seems strong enough.

Hemo, wondering if you would please point me to any good sound resource on virgin queens and practical beekeeping in general? I’ve read the recommended books on queen rearing and other general beekeeping books, swarm, etc but neither those books or the senior beekeepers at my teaching apiary taught me the practical advice you are now sharing.

So what’s not good about using a qx under
IMHO using a queen excluder at all is not good - you've just demonstrated why - the queen was obviously ready to go out on a mating flight but was prevented from doing so.

IMHO using a queen excluder at all is not good - you've just demonstrated why - the queen was obviously ready to go out on a mating flight but was prevented from doing so.
I see. I was told to do that to avoid the colony absconding, whereas if the queen stays in for 3 days the bees would have built comb, if the swarm queen was a mated one she would have started to lay, so less likely that they will abscond.
I was also told that swarm bees are a bit less likely to abscond if you hive the swarm in the shade and I had to hive it the full sun.
Is all that false logic then?

Last edited:
I see. I was told to do that to avoid the colony absconding, whereas if the queen stays in for 3 days the bees would have built comb, if the swarm queen was a mated one she would have started to lay, so less likely that they will abscond. Is that false logic then?
I've seen a swarm abscond after they've drawn comb and the queen has laid in it, there's only so far you can go with restricting and controllong a colony - after all, you are dealing with wild creatures.
Next thing, we will see the perennial suggestion of permanently fixing a queen excluder across the hive entrance to prevent any swarming at all.

Hemo, wondering if you would please point me to any good sound resource on virgin queens and practical beekeeping in general? I’ve read the recommended books on queen rearing and other general beekeeping books, swarm, etc but neither those books or the senior beekeepers at my teaching apiary taught me the practical advice you are now sharing.

The very best reading and resource tbh is the knowledge from so many on here, books are good but most are not ideal for beginners and won't have the nuggets of wisdom that can be offered on here.

Sorry to ask but I obviously don’t have the experience that you guys have: what would be the problem with that? Thanks

Queen excluders are also drone excluders, drones will die by the hundreds and block them trying to get their larger bodies through. They are a human invention to retain the queen in the lower part of the colony, no one yet has seen one in a wild colony except for a natural barrier of honey above the queen which the bees use to prevent her laying every where.

There are no stead fast resources on V.Q's, as JBM has said they are a wild and no two will act the same. As you gain knowledge and learn how to use the bees resource of drawing comb, in time you will have and be able to add some drawn comb to try and help the bees to stay put. It isn't the Q that decides to swarm but the bees, if for what ever reason they don't like what they see then they will abscond with the Q. The QX only delays the inevitable as well as preventing her from flying to mate.

I have only seen one swarm abscond and it took less then 10 mins, an elder beek at the LBKA a few years ago wanted a swarm or two. I had one collected and happy in a cardboard box, the beek arrived with a Langstroth nuc and I was dumfounded to find nothing but foundation inside. The swarm was tipped in and frames gently eased in, entrance was left open to mop up the errant flyers which worked. Only for them to erupt and disappear.

The beek was of older school BBKA teaching and for some dark or old comb is a no no and they all melt it down or burn it instead of harnessing it's value as an attractant.

Tchu, forgive my postings on your issue. They are not a personnel dig at you but just my way of pointing out the wrong's as I see it that you have been given advice on by your mentor/LBKA.
Your situation isn't the first we have seen recently on here and another new beek has had issues following questionable intervention from a mentor/more experienced beek.

You are going about it the correct way and asking questions which we can advise on, the joy of the forum is you can take a consensus on the advice given and then think through the replies and add/see logic in them.

Not all LBKA offer good advice, some stick to the BBKA mantra of teaching and as I have found with my LBKA, they don't like others polluting their teaching with logic/common sense of alternative thinking.

Last edited:
Tchu, forgive my postings on your issue. They are not a personnel dig at you but just my way of pointing out the wrong's as I see it that you have been given advice on by your mentor/LBKA.
Your situation isn't the first we have seen recently on here and another new beek has had issues following questionable intervention from a mentor/more experienced beek.

You are going about it the correct way and asking questions which we can advise on, the joy of the forum is you can take a consensus on the advice given and then think through the replies and add logic to them.

Not all LBKA offer good advice, some stick to the BBKA mantra of teaching and as I have found with my LBKA, they don't like others polluting their teaching with logic/common sense of alternative thinking.
Please don’t excuse yourself - I’m sincerely treasuring your input as I’m desperate for proper sound beekeeping advice and experience! Glad I came here for support.

Please don’t excuse yourself - I’m sincerely treasuring your input as I’m desperate for proper sound beekeeping advice and experience! Glad I came here for support.

Thanks for your remarks, I mentioned it because my LBKA banned me from the Whats' up group because I posted similar posts poo pooing some ideas/ways of teaching. Quite a few so I'm led to believe took umbrage because I didn't pussy foot around mixing my words. Sadly there loss as I will not be renewing my LBKA/BBKA membership for what it was worth.

Thanks for your remarks, I mentioned it because my LBKA banned me from the Whats' up group because I posted similar posts poo pooing some ideas/ways of teaching. Quite a few so I'm led to believe took umbrage because I didn't pussy foot around mixing my words. Sadly there loss as I will not be renewing my LBKA/BBKA membership for what it was worth.
Simply my opinion, but I feel you have been a bit harsh in your judgement of the mentoring given. In my book a QX under for two days is perfectly valid advice, but not something that I do. Why would I want to " faff" about ( your word) cutting up a QX when I have plenty full size just to slip under. Removing it takes about ten seconds

Simply my opinion, but I feel you have been a bit harsh in your judgement of the mentoring given. In my book a QX under for two days is perfectly valid advice, but not something that I do. Why would I want to " faff" about ( your word) cutting up a QX when I have plenty full size just to slip under. Removing it takes about ten seconds

Not harsh at all, look at the problems and worry it has caused the new beekeeper, is /was the mentor around to help pick up the pieces !!!
Never ever bothered to try or recommend it, if they want to abscond they will do so the next day the QX is removed.

Last edited:
Ask about for an old QX or buy a new one cut a piece off big enough to go over the entrance and a fix it with drawing pins to the entrance.
Make life easy and try thinking about simple ways of doing a task.

You can buy mini QX to go over entrances from ali express.

Latest posts

Back