Virgin Queen decision

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loubylou

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi folks, a beekeeping friend has given me a virgin Q as she is requeening with a bought in mated Q. She is caged and feeding herself at the moment. I couldn't bear to kill her and not sure what to do with her. Is it too late to make up a nuc from one of my good hives and pop her in. Or should I just let her go like my other beekeeping half says?

A strange question, because you have 11 hives. You surey know the answer.
It seems that you do not have there mating weathers.

Last edited:
Hi folks, a beekeeping friend has given me a virgin Q as she is requeening with a bought in mated Q. She is caged and feeding herself at the moment. I couldn't bear to kill her and not sure what to do with her. Is it too late to make up a nuc from one of my good hives and pop her in. Or should I just let her go like my other beekeeping half says?

you may like to risk the outside (very) chance of her mating now and building up some kind of a colony for winter but IMHO there's only one option - a fencepost decoration.
And what does your OH mean by 'letting her go' ? far more humane and sensible just to kill her.

you may like to risk the outside (very) chance of her mating now and building up some kind of a colony for winter but IMHO there's only one option - a fencepost decoration.
And what does your OH mean by 'letting her go' ? far more humane and sensible just to kill her.

:iagree:
I wouldn't break up a good colony at this time of the year. Colonies should be more or less settled for winter. Very few drones flying here

Thank you all.....decision made, action taken....she is no more. Advice taken.....very little chance of success and don't want to deplete other hives and kinder to dispatch rather than let fly to die slowly. However, still feeling like a murderous b*****d :(

Thank you all.....decision made, action taken....she is no more. Advice taken.....very little chance of success and don't want to deplete other hives and kinder to dispatch rather than let fly to die slowly. However, still feeling like a murderous b*****d :(

Killing queens part of beekeeping I am afraid. :(

Killing queens part of beekeeping I am afraid. :(
I have killed a lot of things over the years for various reasons with the biggest being a fare few sheep with the intestines hanging out during lambing season, however the thought of killing a Queen bee plays on my mind .

And the bees have no issue in dispatching a queen either if it's warranted

I have killed a lot of things over the years for various reasons with the biggest being a fare few sheep with the intestines hanging out during lambing season, however the thought of killing a Queen bee plays on my mind .

When I was younger and my course at Houghall college durham we visted an abotoir in Sunderland. Changes your perception on killing God's creatures. Then again I love a nice sirloin:icon_204-2:

I'd like to think we would all think twice before taking any life.

Of an individual cell of a superorganism? squish em without hesitation if it seems for the best imho.

Back