Virgin queen acceptance in apidea

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
I have had a couple of apidea killing virgins on emergence. Mated queen out, QC introduced straight after but bees seem to make their own using brood in the apidea and when the virgin from the QC I introduced emerges she gets killed. Anything I could do to reduce the risk?

I have had a couple of apidea killing virgins on emergence. Mated queen out, QC introduced straight after but bees seem to make their own using brood in the apidea and when the virgin from the QC I introduced emerges she gets killed. Anything I could do to reduce the risk?

Don't give them a choice.
If they have eggs/larvae of their own, they will usually use these in preference to something you give them.
If they are hopelessly queenless, they will accept almost anything you give them. I introduced 14 last night (lost 1 on introduction). Luckily, I had a couple in the incubator I could use.
I don't think you need to try to emulate commercial practices if you aren't operating as a business.

Latest posts

Back