virgin or not, queen with swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justme

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10(OSB hives)1 National
Hi,
I picked up a swarm 10 days ago. I assumed it wuld have been a caste/secondary swarm, partly cos although reasonable size 31/2 OSB frames, it was fairly late in season.

When I checked them over this w/e , 8 days since collection, I found 1 & 2 day old eggs, didn't see the queen so presumably unmarked.

As this is my first swarm I am wondering whether this would mean it was not a virgin queen? I didn't expect eggs so soon. Not complaining tho:.)

Di:.)

There 's no reason why a caste or secondary swarm can't have a newly mated queen with them, seems to happen all the time in my experience and will also occur with a second caste, (3rd swarm), as well.

Main thing I would have thought is that you've got eggs / brood.

Chris

I haven't checked them yet but there is pollen going into a swarm I caught and hived 7 days ago. Though I read on here that pollen going in doesn't always mean there is brood.
I will have a look at the end of the week if it stops raining.

seems to happen all the time in my experience and will also occur with a second caste, (3rd swarm), as well.

Can you please explain how this happens (as you are used to it and the rest of are not)?

RAB

There 's no reason why a caste or secondary swarm can't have a newly mated queen with them,

??????

Second swarms by default are headed by a virgin queen.

Appearance of eggs after less than a week would suggest that the swarm came with a mated queen. Matings, however, can be quick if the weather is very good, but perhaps not that quick.

thanks for the clarification i was wondering the same sort of thing!

It might not have come direct from a hive, i had my eyes on a small swarm 50ft up a tree for two weeks, it eventual came down to a freinds bait hive when it rained, laying within three days...glad I did catched them, they are bees from the darkside..straight for the eyes

Latest posts

Back