Video: Arrived queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats all this PH, stealing the movie action while Hedgrow Pete's away,very good though.

Nice vid thanks. (subscribed) :)

Just a wee suggestion,
I find it easier to release the bees into a plastic bag, chivvie the queen back inside the cage :), or clip her and then re cage , saves having to chase her all over the window .
Ah well! each to his own :cheers2:.

John Wilkinson

I'm sure that all newbees appreciate the contrasting techniques, in order to be able to select a method *likely* to work for them/us.

Bring on the alternative techniques please for our information.

Nice video PH. Do the attendants stay on the kitchen window while you sort the Queen out?
Would you both (PH and Victor) pop the Queen into temporary storage after marking, assuming not previously marked? Sequence clip then mark?

So many questions - sorry.

Forgot to add, nice video .
Clip then mark :), personal preference;, don't want to be messing about with a queen before her 'bindy' is properly dry :svengo:.
The cage is an introducing device! , therefore the separation of the attendant workers is done at the same time as the marking/clipping of the queen, followed by the introduction of the cage into the colony selected to receive her (a nuc if possible ),after checking for queen cells/ cups etc. The bit of tape covering access to the fondant plug should be left intact and the cage checked in 3 days time, this check is to ensure that the bees haven't again started any qcs and are not crowding the cage (a sign that their intensions are hostile) if all ok, then tape is remove and colony left well alone for a couple of weeks . Too much interference at this time can cause the bees to reject her even after she has started laying !.

Sorry Pete for going off topic but the questions needed an answer :cheers2:.

John Wilkinson

Yes, and for information for the newer members, clipping virgins is NOT a good idea.
thanks John I have been a bit busy this morning. We had 100% last night and at that two to a room to boot so it makes for a busy morning.

PH

Latest posts

Back