Viable excuses to your better half for buying more kit ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
buying? I took hold of 4 free nuc boxes at the weekend, despite being free when I announced where I was going all I got was one eyebrow raised so far it nearly detached.

We now have a 'simple' rule, no beekeeping equipment anywhere in the house, at any time. Its working so far, well for the week its been in place

We now have a 'simple' rule, no beekeeping equipment anywhere in the house, at any time. Its working so far, well for the week its been in place
:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:
I wish
My stuff is in every room in the house bar the bathroom (now what can I store in there?) even though I have a bee room and two sheds.

Tell her you want to increase the amount of hives you have to sell more honey. The hive will pay for itself eventually if you are thrifty. Beekeeping is nothing to be ashamed of or something to make excuses for. It is very worthwhile compared to many other past times that see no return at all.

buying? I took hold of 4 free nuc boxes at the weekend, despite being free when I announced where I was going all I got was one eyebrow raised so far it nearly detached.

Yes, I know that raised eyebrow look. What I fear is that our respective spouses/partners will somehow get together and form a support group and harass us. Something akin to Black Lives Matter, Me Too etc. For example, they might hack into T's sales dept and quickly warn a member that his/her partner has made a purchase..... Worrying times......

Tell her you want to increase the amount of hives you have to sell more honey. The hive will pay for itself eventually if you are thrifty. Beekeeping is nothing to be ashamed of or something to make excuses for. It is very worthwhile compared to many other past times that see no return at all.

That could almost be the opening phrase at a beekeepers anonymous meeting. It's far better to admit that you're addicted than to live in denial.

You do not need excuses. Just buy it. I spent £800 on a new extractor last year and it is still in its wraps as last years harvest was pants. I got, "HOW MUCH?" and raised eyebrows then he went back into his workshop.
Same here. I bought mine in September and had used my manual extractor.

You won't be disappointed ...

The apple corer is fantastic .. I take the core out of an apple - it's really sharp so do it on a chopping board .. and then wrap the apple in aluminium foil and take it to work to eat later in the day ... no waste, no nibbling round the core and annoying my colleagues ... the slicer is great when the grannchildren are with us it make great apple segments that are just the size for them to eat ...
I think removing apple cores wastes the best part of the apple- fibre and pips.
I have eaten every part of an apple apart from the stalk for most of my life: maybe that's why I am bald?

I think removing apple cores wastes the best part of the apple- fibre and pips.
I have eaten every part of an apple apart from the stalk for most of my life: maybe that's why I am bald?
Yes but ... how can you bake a big Bramley applie in the oven without stuffing the cored hole with sultanas, a shake of cinnamon and some demerara sugar ... without the hole in middle it just does not work.. a spoonful of honey on the top and a dab of butter ... 30 minutes later in the oven - food of the Gods !

Last edited:
Yes but ... how can you bake a big Bramley applie in the over without stuffing the cored hole with sultanas, a shake of cinnamon and some demerara sugar ... without the hole in middle it just does not work.. a spoonful of honey on the top and a dab of butter ... 30 minutes later in the oven - food of the Gods !
My grandmother used to just peel them and core them, wrap them in pastry then bake them, then she'd just break the pastry on top, pour loads of brown sugar into the hot 'twmplen' as she called them, followed by loads of milk. I was only thinking about it the other day...............

By the time I'd fiddled around with this Asian method I reckon my gadget would do a better job and waste very little comparatively .,... life is too short ,... and you've got less left than most !!! Buy a gadget and eat more pineapple ... :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

You clearly don't understand how clever the Asians are. Nothing ever sticks in my teeth (and even at 86 I still have my original full set as well a whopping mullet due to the lockdown actually) and I'm certain the Asians got it licked back in dark ages. We have a lot to learn. Save yourself the effort and your 'gelt' on wasted gadgets and get a proper life. :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: Mangoes are even more special though the pips would do more than just stick in your teeth. The durian fruit is another animal and best left to the Asians. Try - no suck it - it by all means and see!! The Asians have all the best fruit imho lucky them.

I have the ultimate gadget for peeling pineapples. Its called an Asian wife :)

I had a fair bit of stress with my wife over beekeeping £ last year.

So my plan this year is to wait until she has ordered some durian - it costs a fortune to get it delivered here! Then I can order some bee kit. Then I can hint at the cost of durian if she says anything about my kit spending.

At the risk of sounding trite, I have no need to deceive my Mrs. re. my hobby beekeeping expenses. She is totally on-board, helps with the bottling, and sells most of the honey. So I suppose she mostly sees beekeeping as an income stream, which has got to be a good thing. Plus she understands all the other benefits for my well-being.

My grandmother used to just peel them and core them, wrap them in pastry then bake them, then she'd just break the pastry on top, pour loads of brown sugar into the hot 'twmplen' as she called them, followed by loads of milk. I was only thinking about it the other day...............
Ooooooooh that takes me back. My mum used to do something very similar but topped with lashings of custard!

Back