Vevor extractors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I’m going to buy a cheap extractor…I’m not sure what type of extractor I’ll want/need long term so feel it’s best to get a cheap one for now. I know I could borrow my association’s one but I’d rather be self sufficient and capable of just extracting a few frames here and there without the fuss of borrowing.

Does anyone have experience of the Vevor models…in particular the one below? Looks like it might be better value than Thorne’s cheaper models for instance…

https://m.vevor.co.uk/honey-extract...kTCzH5vLFIMtK2NcaAvTmEALw_wcB#js-goodsReviews

Been there bought the tee shirt,it was faulty,sent it back,they sent a replacement ,it was faulty ,sent it back,got a refund,bought a proper one like I should have done in the first place.
The extractor can be made to pay for itself fairly quickly so purchase cost becomes secondary.
Others have bought rubbish and got away with it- your call.

I've bought a few things from Vevor over the years ... not had a problem with them or the stuff they sell. I started out with a similar extractor to these - it came from Germany but was clearly manufactured somewhere in the Far East .... served me well for a number of years without any issues - for what little use they get in the early years of beekeeping you are not going to wear it out and when I upgraded it to a larger motorised one I sold it on to another member on here and as far as I know it's still in service.

What's the worst that can happen ? If there is something fundamentally wrong with it Vevor are very good with returns ... but, it's not exactly a high tech bit of kit - yes, the gears may be plastic, the stainless drum a bit thinner than a Lega or Konigin but Thornes sell what looks like the identical machine under the Unimel brand for £200 so at £112 it looks to me like a good deal.

At that price you will get most of your money back when you come to upgrade.

not sure what type of extractor I’ll want/need long term so feel it’s best to get a cheap one for now
Your choice will depend on cash available, but future-proofing capacity & quality is a better option.

The extractor can be made to pay for itself fairly quickly so purchase cost becomes secondary.
This can be done fairly quickly if you sell your honey at a modern price.

After the hassle of dud units was finally over,I found getting a decent midrange radial was impossible at this time of year so I was forced to choose a much bigger semi pro machine .
No regrets with that whatsoever and what comes out of the honey gate now is profit.

Larger drum means the frames are further from the axle - more centrifugal efficiency.
Most radials can be retro fitted to do tangential -the opposite isn't so common.

Last edited:
After the hassle of dud units was finally over,I found getting a decent midrange radial was impossible at this time of year so I was forced to choose a much bigger semi pro machine .
No regrets with that whatsoever and what comes out of the honey gate now is profit.

Larger drum means the frames are further from the axle - more centrifugal efficiency.
Most radials can be retro fitted to do tangential -the opposite isn't so common.
I retrofitted my tangential to do radial!

I bought Thornes Unimel version last year, then, for about £180. It came with a selection of containers, an unhappiness fork!!! (uncapping)
and strainers as a starter kit. It looks a lot like that Vevor and is very basic, but works well and is easy to clean. I don't know how many hives you need to have before a manual, three-frame becomes a PITA, but I enjoy the process of spinning frames manually.

I just want a cheap one to tide me over for a couple of years….until I feel comfortable choosing a permanent (expensive!) one. I’ll use the cheap one to extract a few frames here and there and if I need to extract a lot of frames I’ll borrow the association’s machine.

I’m torn between the two frame and three frame models…the two frame really is cheap at £70.

Funnily enough, I just bought the 4 frame version this weekend. Arrives by courier tomorrow! Fast service and hopefully up to scratch. First ever extraction taking place this weekend I hope.

I just want a cheap one to tide me over for a couple of years….until I feel comfortable choosing a permanent (expensive!) one. I’ll use the cheap one to extract a few frames here and there and if I need to extract a lot of frames I’ll borrow the association’s machine.

I’m torn between the two frame and three frame models…the two frame really is cheap at £70.
Get more frames at a time, you won't regret it.

@blackcloud

Forgive the extractor not being cleaned out, just finished the main summer flow extraction. Video is fortunately from when I first had it done.
View attachment 20210502_172002.mp4

I got a stainless steel ruler from toolstation for a couple of quid and cut four sections which I bent into u shapes (two right angle bends) wide enough for the side bars of a frame. A local welder fixed them on for me near the centre of the extractor. It would have been even cheaper if I could have welded it myself. Presto, four frame tangential or radial... Theoretically it might even do both at once but I haven't tried that.

Attachments

• 20220802_232535.jpg
    20220802_232535.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
I've just bought the same one last week for the same reason, seems to do the job well enough. Quality isn't amazing but for the little I have to do its more than adequate. I will say the basket dosnt hold natinoal super frames great, I think it's more for larger frames (mine the edges touched the wall of the extractor) but ill upgrade a a later date when I need to or if this one goes kaboom.

@blackcloud

Forgive the extractor not being cleaned out, just finished the main summer flow extraction. Video is fortunately from when I first had it done.
View attachment 33254

I got a stainless steel ruler from toolstation for a couple of quid and cut four sections which I bent into u shapes (two right angle bends) wide enough for the side bars of a frame. A local welder fixed them on for me near the centre of the extractor. It would have been even cheaper if I could have welded it myself. Presto, four frame tangential or radial... Theoretically it might even do both at once but I haven't tried that.
That's very creative ... if you had bent the ruler into W shapes so that they sat over the bottom bar and put a small stainless bolt through the centre of the W you could save on the welding and the mod is reversible. Like the idea though ...brilliant, So many talented lateral thinkers on here ....

I've just bought the same one last week for the same reason, seems to do the job well enough. Quality isn't amazing but for the little I have to do its more than adequate. I will say the basket dosnt hold natinoal super frames great, I think it's more for larger frames (mine the edges touched the wall of the extractor) but ill upgrade a a later date when I need to or if this one goes kaboom.
You might find a looped cable tie or a stainless steel ring to hold the top lug of the frame in place helps. I used to get 8 super frames in my four frame extractor by doing that and never had a problem with the frames slipping during extraction.

Latest posts

Back