Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Gilberdyke John

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Take it apart again and run a dremel type tool over them and round everything off; you'll be glad you did. I had numerous fine "paper cuts" on my hands/fingers from handling one, the legs especially are the worst source for cuts.
Alternatively wear leather gloves 😵‍💫
I once had to go over a set of spanners with a small grinder. When purchased new they had a nice shiny chrome finish. It wasn't long before the finish started to show signs of distress in industrial use and fine cuts on the users hands became common from the edges of the flaking chrome. I've studiously avoided buying or using shiny finish tools ever since.

Murox

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Yes, I nearly put on a pair of leather gloves. How long do use spin each set of the frames for, as the max speed is much lower than when I hand crank on the old machine?
Handcranking-well smooth and steady resisting the urge to go faster (avoids blowout especially if the weather is warm as I extract in my conservatory on sunny days over 30 degrees ) - but I just go on until I cant see or hear honey hitting the side of the extractor typically maybe five minutes per side total after having turned the frame as its a tangential machine; also depends on the viscosity of the honey a bit. The benefit of electric is that you can go and have a drink while its turning :scotland-flag: .
ps- I wonder why its only the scottish flag that also depicts a drinking icon!!!??

Nick Lang

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Only one
I’ve now assembled my three frame Vevor electric extractor (cost £180 free shipping), but not yet used it. The finish is poor, as I expected, with very sharp edges on the metal cross strut holding the motor. National frames fit ok, with a loop of cable tie to support each. Had a practice go with empty frames and was surprised how slow the maximum speed was. The motor is only 140W (you get what you pay for) so I guess I’ll have to spin longer.
How long should you spin for generally with an electric extractor?
I have exactly the same unit..... literally just purchased it last week....I have been extracting frames at 45/50 on the little knob....at 10 minutes per side..... it's just sitting in the kitchen pooting along while I have a glass....and I swap out the frames between bottles 😁😎🤣😂

Beebe

Survivor bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Owned by ten
I was thinking of this one from Thorne’s.

Unimel 3 frame manual £200

Anyone had any experience of it?

Ten minutes per side seems a lot to me. On my manual, three-frame, they seem emptied after a couple of minutes. I must try spinning for longer. :)

Nick Lang

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Only one
I have that o
Ne...basic, but very good.
Ten minutes per side seems a lot to me. On my manual, three-frame, they seem emptied after a couple of minutes. I must try spinning for longer. :)

I have that o
Ne...basic, but very good.
I can't drink that fast.... that's the problem 😂

BernardBlack

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ten minutes? Where did it say that?

Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have exactly the same unit..... literally just purchased it last week....I have been extracting frames at 45/50 on the little knob....at 10 minutes per side..... it's just sitting in the kitchen pooting along while I have a glass....and I swap out the frames between bottles 😁😎🤣😂
Hi Nick

I've been looking at buying one of these as my first extractor and would like to ask a question to somebody who owns one, before I buy.

The spec on the website ( unless I'm reading it incorrectly! ) seems to suggest that the extractor will accommodate 14 x 12 frames. Do you think that this is possible
as I have quite a few 14 x 12 frames full of honey and I'd prefer to spin them out and retain them as a valuable commodity rather than scraping them off?

Kind regards,

Mark

Tony Slater

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi Nick

I've been looking at buying one of these as my first extractor and would like to ask a question to somebody who owns one, before I buy.

The spec on the website ( unless I'm reading it incorrectly! ) seems to suggest that the extractor will accommodate 14 x 12 frames. Do you think that this is possible
as I have quite a few 14 x 12 frames full of honey and I'd prefer to spin them out and retain them as a valuable commodity rather than scraping them off?

Kind regards,

Mark
I’ve just gone out to the garage to find the answer to your question and I can say that a National 12x14 brood frame definitely does NOT fit.

Nick Lang

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Only one
I don't have any 12x14 frames to check the size, but just putting a tape measure across the top of the basket/cradle for each frame it measures 10inch wide so as Tony says unfortunately it won't fit.

Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I’ve just gone out to the garage to find the answer to your question and I can say that a National 12x14 brood frame definitely does NOT fit.
I don't have any 12x14 frames to check the size, but just putting a tape measure across the top of the basket/cradle for each frame it measures 10inch wide so as Tony says unfortunately it won't fit.
Thank you both for the effort and prompt answers...saves hitting the buy now button and being disappointed!

Latest posts