Very sticky hive problem

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found, early on, that two of my first four colonies were heavily propolised. At the time I thought it due to the strain, but changing the frame runners so that bee space was correct cured the problem (my new supers were OK, but the brood frames were awful).

The beekeeper had used nails as frame separators and there was no bee space under the frame lugs - so the bees propolised all the small spaces. Maybe you have a similar situation? Raising the runners a mm or two may be all it needs to avoid the problem? If there is less than a bee space under the lugs, the bees will seal off the gap.🙂

All of my hive in all three apiaries, have produced much more propolis than usual, to the extent that my bee buddy is now harvesting it. Could it be caused by the weird weather this summer?

I found, early on, that two of my first four colonies were heavily propolised. At the time I thought it due to the strain, but changing the frame runners so that bee space was correct cured the problem (my new supers were OK, but the brood frames were awful).

The beekeeper had used nails as frame separators and there was no bee space under the frame lugs - so the bees propolised all the small spaces. Maybe you have a similar situation? Raising the runners a mm or two may be all it needs to avoid the problem? If there is less than a bee space under the lugs, the bees will seal off the gap.🙂
That's interesting... all bar one of my hives are Paynes polys with metal runners and top bee space created by a crown board with a rim ...,only one colony propolises to extreme but I'm going to have a closer look at them and see if I'm missing something...,

Latest posts

Back