Very runny honey!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
I jarred up some honey last week and it all seemed normal until I opened a jar for my porridge this morning. The honey is extremely runny, more like syrup than the normal viscous honey I'm used to.
I assumed that it had acquired some moisture but when I checked with a newly calibrated refractometer it showed a moisture content of 18.1%.
Has anyone else seen this in their honeys?

Yes, I had one batch that was very hard to get a spoonful out of the jar. It still granulated though, eventually.

Turn the heating down,,,,,

It is people like you in your over insulated semi detached luxury town houses that are causing Global Warming!!

:calmdown: :calmdown: :calmdown: :leaving:
It's the standard design temperature for kitchens 😃

Turn the heating down,,,,,

It is people like you in your over insulated semi detached luxury town houses that are causing Global Warming!!

:calmdown: :calmdown: :calmdown: :leaving:
If it was over insulated it wouldn’t burn much fuel and thus not cause global warming, shirley😂

It's insulated within an inch of its life and heated with a 6kw heat pump. 😀

I jarred up some honey last week and it all seemed normal until I opened a jar for my porridge this morning. The honey is extremely runny, more like syrup than the normal viscous honey I'm used to.
I assumed that it had acquired some moisture but when I checked with a newly calibrated refractometer it showed a moisture content of 18.1%.
Has anyone else seen this in their honeys?
What sort of honey is it? Spring, summer? We had summer honey the year before last it was 18.3 % and stayed like it very runny, but still crystalized the sugar grain stayed really small.

Well, if you have just jarred it up and you heated it to liquify it then it will be "thin" for a couple of weeks at least.

Well, if you have just jarred it up and you heated it to liquify it then it will be "thin" for a couple of weeks at least.
I warmed it to 35deg as normal so didn't expect it to be any different to the standard jarrings.

What sort of honey is it? Spring, summer? We had summer honey the year before last it was 18.3 % and stayed like it very runny, but still crystalized the sugar grain stayed really small.
It was harvested in August so a summer honey. Good to hear it's not unusual, just not what I have experienced before.

It was harvested in August so a summer honey. Good to hear it's not unusual, just not what I have experienced before.
:unsure: August honey! thistle, willowherb, hb maybe... There was really good thistle forage up here that summer and they were working them really well

Latest posts

Back