Very busy bee's :)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrB

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
my bee's seem exceptionally busy at present bringing in loads of pollen (very pale yellow/white), looks like even more coming in then there was in spring!!!

Our bees are very busy today as well. Quite a bit of HB coming in but also a lot of white pollen and dark orange pollen. I have Apiguard on at the moment, should I put a super back on to accomodate all this new pollen coming in?

Our bees are very busy today as well. Quite a bit of HB coming in but also a lot of white pollen and dark orange pollen. I have Apiguard on at the moment, should I put a super back on to accomodate all this new pollen coming in?

Hi I am not that far away from you Pencoed , I would leave alone now that you are treating the hive. How long since you removed the super's , mine are still on as they are non-stop with the HB.

Grub

Hi Grub,
You're just up the road! I removed the supers a fortnight ago so I could treat them with the Apiguard. I wasn't going to put them back on, but I saw all the activity today and worried they wouldn't have anywhere to put all the pollen they were bringing in. Is it obvious that I am new to all this?

Just put super back on !!

Weather very changable here ,stared feeding this week and they are loving the syrup so was thinking they may make stores

The net gain in my colonies, the last couple of weeks, has been zilch, especially if the bees are brooding heavily. A lot are needing to feed colonies recently. Looks the same this week. That does not unduly worry me, as long as stores are OK.

Your local conditions must be better than a lot if they are laying down much stores, so I would think you need to make a local decision on local observation. One day's activity will not make a great deal of difference. Pollen is usually stored in the brood. I am doubting you need extra space at this time, but you may. Again I have only left a nearly empty super of drawn comb on one colony which is still too large for a 14 x12 brood box.

So I would say look, before you just do anything, and make you own decision based on what you find.

Regards, RAB

Back