Vertically wired foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norton

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Are there any suppliers of foundation with vertical wires? I do not mean the zigzag type sold by Thornes. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Norton.

Are there any suppliers of foundation with vertical wires? I do not mean the zigzag type sold by Thornes. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Norton.

Depending on size, the American suppliers seem to do it this way. I dont think that there are any UK manufacturers doing so now.

I have used vertical wiring in my first medium super frames. Problem was that when you clean burr from frames, wires will be cutted too on back side and on belly side.

But I wonder Bristish heavy wiring, like zig zag.

Nowadays I use 2 horizontal wire.

Last edited:
Are you thinking along the lines of the foundation EH Taylor used to make?

Yes - we actually want to get the machine that can wire the foundation. Maybe one of the companies has an old one that they are willing to part with. We have to have vertical as well as horizontal wires due to the very high temperatures here. If we do not have vertical wiring the combs just sag in the frames.
Thanks
Norton.

Thornes bought out Taylors so they might be worth contacting. However, I've heard a lot of Taylors kit was nearly at the end of its life at the time of the takover (and the takeover was years ago) so this might be a long shot!

I'm sure I've seen several of the American manufacturers embedding vertical wires into foundation. You might be better trying Dadant, Root(? I think they make candles now) or Speedy Bee...

Sorry can't help more...

All the best...
Steve.

Some of the Swienty frames have six vertical wires. Of course this means changing over to wired frames but I would guess it would solve your sagging problem. Plastic foundation would also work but sourcing it where you are might be a problem.

Hello,
We have a Herzog machine that can produce 700 sheets of foundation an hour and need to find a machine to wire those sheets. At the moment it is done by hand - but it involves, as you can imagine, a lot of work.
Best regards
Norton

I would be surprised if a frame with six vertical wires which have been crimped would sag. I know wired foundation can sag under its own weight but not with wired frames. Forgive me for asking the obvious but are you familar with wired frames? The wire is fixed to the frame not embedded in the foundation so it cannot sag.

If you suffer sagging wax badly the temperatures in your hives may be way above what the bees can tolerate. I would suggest shading them, keeping the varroa floor open all summer if not already done and consider a top entrance to give added ventilation. I know someone in Qatar who keeps bees and doesn't need to take the steps you are using.

The frames used here have a wedge top bar and a split bottom bar. They are wired with 4 horizontal wires. The foundation is prewired with 9 vertical crimped wires. If we use a split topbar and a solid bottom bar with just 4 horizontal wires we get big problems with sagging and extracting (radial).
Thanks!
Norton.

Maybe you could lower the temperature a bit in the extracting room ?

Latest posts

Back