Ventilated suits

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suggest you look/handle before you buy I just don’t like the bulk and they snag like crazy. I was given 1 albeit a cheap Thornes version. In terms of coolness I simply wear shorts and tee shirt under my sheriff.

They do feel different to conventional suits and the do snag a bit but I don't have a lot in my apiary for them to catch on .. I like the coolness in the warm weather ... I have the Old Castle Jackets and I like them a lot .. some nice features - pretty much sting proof and the veils are good (I have one hat and one fencing type - both good).

You wll find those who love them and those that don't so you'd be better trying before buying although ... any internet purchase you can always send back.

Totally happy with my old castle suit. Yes, putting it on is a bit different to ordinary suit, but no problem now I am used to it ( have given in to old age and now sit down to put it on) . Lovely and cool last summer

They do feel different to conventional suits and the do snag a bit but I don't have a lot in my apiary for them to catch on .. I like the coolness in the warm weather ... I have the Old Castle Jackets and I like them a lot .. some nice features - pretty much sting proof and the veils are good (I have one hat and one fencing type - both good).

You wll find those who love them and those that don't so you'd be better trying before buying although ... any internet purchase you can always send back.
Another vote for the Old Castle jacket (worn with Kevlar lined trousers).

I bought an Old castle sentinel jacket last year - great jacket, roomy fit too. Very light and airy, can snag but I haven't put a hole in in yet, Veil not at all bad, am using fencing style as that was what was in the sales.

+1 vote for the Swienty suit. The only two stings I got last year were after the suit was removed. Comfy to wear, only problems I can see are getting the hood is a little tricky to attach (but very nice that the suit will nicely pack into the hood), and it's designed for the right handed beeks as the hive tool pocket is on the wrong side.

I have a Thornes one. Very happy with it, 4 or 5 years old now and still fine.
My only gripes are elastic it the wrists has let go and for me the arms are a little bit short (I am 6'3") but having said that would buy another one from them if it did fail.
Makes such a massive difference in the mid summer days.

+1 vote for the Swienty suit. The only two stings I got last year were after the suit was removed. Comfy to wear, only problems I can see are getting the hood is a little tricky to attach (but very nice that the suit will nicely pack into the hood), and it's designed for the right handed beeks as the hive tool pocket is on the wrong side.
You put a hive tool in a pocket ? I think that's an instant fail in the BBKA basic exam second only to letting your smoker go out ! :mad::eek::devilish:

You put a hive tool in a pocket ? I think that's an instant fail in the BBKA basic exam second only to letting your smoker go out ! :mad::eek::devilish:
Is that a more henious crime than having more than one super full of honey to extract per season?

I think the Sentinel would do better in brambles than my Ozarmour, it would snag no doubt but I need to be careful I don't tear mine.
Stunningly cool in Summer though.

I have a Thornes one. Very happy with it, 4 or 5 years old now and still fine.
My only gripes are elastic it the wrists has let go and for me the arms are a little bit short (I am 6'3") but having said that would buy another one from them if it did fail.
Makes such a massive difference in the mid summer days.
The Ozarmour suit has Velcro wrists and ankles so baggy elastic is not a problem. I wouldn't be without mine in the hot weather.

The Ozarmour suit has Velcro wrists and ankles so baggy elastic is not a problem. I wouldn't be without mine in the hot weather.
The Old Castle hives one have the velcro wrist tighteners as well ... much better than the elasticated wrist ones that always go slack after a lot of washes (some after very few washes !). Nothing worse than Loose Elastic ...

That reminds me ... I used to write as an agony aunt in the college mag under the nom de plume ... Lucy Lastick ... Such fun times.

I have Ozamour and I’m not impressed with it at all. The veil rubs against my nose very easily! Even with a cap it’s not great, and No my nose isn’t huge haha

Do you fit the brace in the top of your hood? It's designed to hold the veil rigid. The neck zip is a bit too high up so the bottom of the veil is closer than a suit like BBwear but there is enough loose material to pull the veil forward, clear of your face and I find it stays put.
Neil,
Mine would be at least that old, when there was a UK supplier. Standard elastic and thumb loop.

I've got a BBWear vented suit and I think it's worth every penny. The fabric is different from most other brands I looked at - much stronger and more snag-proof. It comes with a 5 year warranty too. Expensive, but you get what you pay for!

Latest posts

Back