Venom

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ade'sBee's

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Out of interest ,as there are alot of posts regarding reactions to stings of late if you get stung by a bumblebee or wasp and have no reaction to worry about does this mean you should be ok with honeybee stings ?

Hi

Bee venom is Acidic and Wasp is Alkali, so i would expect there to be a differing reaction.

When i am stung by a wasp i get no swelling, but i sometimes do with a bee sting, its also important to remember particularly with some of the recent posts that you do not become immune the more times you are stung, one day you can have no reaction, and the next you could end up in hospital, preferably not the latter.

Last edited:
Different venom for wasp than honeybee. But not sure if bumblebees and honeybees have the same venom.

You are selecting the posts. Just read the earlier post from Grizzly where he says: "When i am stung by a wasp i get no swelling, but i sometimes do with a bee sting"

Answers your question before posting, I believe.

RAB

You are selecting the posts. Just read the earlier post from Grizzly where he says: "When i am stung by a wasp i get no swelling, but i sometimes do with a bee sting"

Answers your question before posting, I believe.

RAB

Have read post from Pete , that is his reaction ,maybe differs from person to person...i believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then READ GRIZZLY's. Please read all the relevant posts. ALL the answers are there!

RAB

yep from 2 peoples reactions , was trying to get a general view...If this has been posted before sorry but i dont trawl through all postings ...

Dunno if this has any relavence but read somewhere that our bodies are meant to be more of an alkaline make up but due to the amount of processed food etc we eat, we end up with a more acidic make up, not how we are designed to be. Wonder about Italian diet? Best in modern world. Whats their reaction rate? Never hear of African tribesmen having reactions, they shin up a tree, arm in, no protection, stung to hell, no reaction, no processed either! Link maybe?

Dunno if this has any relavence but read somewhere that our bodies are meant to be more of an alkaline make up but due to the amount of processed food etc we eat, we end up with a more acidic make up, not how we are designed to be. Wonder about Italian diet? Best in modern world. Whats their reaction rate? Never hear of African tribesmen having reactions, they shin up a tree, arm in, no protection, stung to hell, no reaction, no processed either! Link maybe?

Good thought..thank you

Don't know much about different peoples reactions to stings,i don't have any reaction at all after the initial prick,no matter where i'm stung,but i believe it would be wise to be aware that certain anti inflammatory medicines if taken could cause a sting to be much more serious.

Don't know much about different peoples reactions to stings,i don't have any reaction at all after the initial prick,no matter where i'm stung,but i believe it would be wise to be aware that certain anti inflammatory medicines if taken could cause a sting to be much more serious.

Yes i read the affects on ibuprofen and other anti inflams in older post..interesting stuff

Stings

Good point, look on dave cushman, section bee stings, he mentions about 6 things to avoid. How to use epipen also.

Good point, look on dave cushman, section bee stings, he mentions about 6 things to avoid. How to use epipen also.

my mentor has kept bees for over 20 years and has no reactions to stings until few years ago when she got stung and went into full shock, now carries eppi pen but has not used it and gets stung all the time...when we did first inspection this year bees got into bottom of her suit and recieved over 50 stings and only suffered swelling to ankles ... goes against the norm

would peeps agree that large amounts of stings are due to careless aproach to what they are doing.
I don't mean to the suit or gloves , i mean taken to the skin.

Maybe ?

I have not been stung by my bees yet this year but have taken one under the eye from another persons apiary.

Having said that Gingernut took a clout from one of mine a couple of weeks back.

I am always aware that they can creep up on you when you are removing supers,so I always remove my suite double the normal distance from the hives in August as the little buggers have got me before at that time of year.

My tip is:dont trust them to behave the same way they have all spring/summer when it comes time to remove their honey stores.

Latest posts

Back