Venom in the Eye

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheshirehives

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
Has anyone ever had bee venom sprayed in their eye?
I had an unfortunate run in with an angry worker saturday that stung me on the nose then all of a sudden my eye felt like it was on fire..... I have heard that bees will spray venom but have never had the misfortune of experiencing it until saturday.
Today i look like i have been in a fight with tyson. Great.
Marc

I've been stung on the eyelid, that was bad enough !!! :ack2:

Never had venom actually sprayed, even by really furious bees. Mine are mostly Ok but one got me on the ear at the weekend - I stupidly went to adjust their fence just after going to the hairdresser's, and I think the bee disliked the shampoo smell (either that or she just wanted to investigate my ears, never having seen them before the haircut!). :bigear:Anyway, the ear swelled, my glands swelled up just under the ear, and I now look like I've just lost a fight against the aforementioned boxer....

:biggrinjester:Honestly, it would be so much less bother just to nip down to Tesco's and BUY some honey!

Ive had something sprayed onto my glove when treating a german wasp nest, the guard wasp came straight down the pole as they do, arse first and got the stinger stuck into the leather glove (i dont wear rubber gloves for those)
Anyway, i saw it spray a patch of something onto the glove and the patch was visible. Was it just emptying its bowles? Or spraying pheromone? Or venom? I dont know, but it did make me wonder.

Ive had dentist injections that have hit a nerve in my eye, it sure makes you squint for a moment or two, not nice.

I think DrS is right - everything is a bit joined up in that region. Worst case is being stung on the eyeball itself which can lead to blindness in both eyes* due to the way the eyes are linked. Being stung near the eyes is not recommended.

* from Dr Harry Riches - who wrote the first book about honey bee venom.

Latest posts

Back