Veil advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you need reading glasses to read you definitely need them to see eggs. I always have a strong LED torch with me - almost essential in most cases where you are under a tree or in overcast conditions. The B&Q £6 LED torches are good enough.

Attachments

• diall-blue-led-inspection-light-120lm~3663602904694_02bq.jpeg
    diall-blue-led-inspection-light-120lm~3663602904694_02bq.jpeg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1
SImples.
Get 25% magnification built into near vision on varifocals .Makes a huge difference..

Reading glasses definitely help. I also use a magnifying glass with built in LED if I forget the reading glasses.

The thing that helps me most is learning where the eggs are most likely to be by following the brood pattern as the larvae get younger and younger. The eggs are usually nearby so it cuts down the search area.

It can also help to take a photo of frames where you suspect there are eggs. Zooming in on the screen afterwards can help magnify them.

I always need a good light over my shoulder when holding up a frame to see them properly.

Reading glasses definitely help. I also use a magnifying glass with built in LED if I forget the reading glasses.

The thing that helps me most is learning where the eggs are most likely to be by following the brood pattern as the larvae get younger and younger. The eggs are usually nearby so it cuts down the search area.

It can also help to take a photo of frames where you suspect there are eggs. Zooming in on the screen afterwards can help magnify them.

I always need a good light over my shoulder when holding up a frame to see them properly.
If you are using a smart phone to take a picture you can also download a free magnifying glass App MagnifyGlass which would be extremely good for identifying eggs.

I have my hive orientated such that when I do my inspections, typically in the afternoon, the sun is behind me. I find this makes it a lot easier to see eggs and generally have a better view of the frames.

I saw somewhere online a picture of a DIY job. They’d cut out a 6”x4” panel of the mesh veil and superglued a clear thin transparent plastic panel to see through.
Brilliant Idea

Large magnifying glass. I have one with a light on it, see eggs easily but better if the sun isn't shining.

If you do, let us know how you get on. I tried a headtorch to provide additional light once but all it did was cause the inside of the bee veil to illuminate so I couldn't see anything at all.
Well, l have to report that the JML magnifying glasses didn't work at all for me. Of course too early to be looking for eggs, so experimented with small the smallest objects l could find in the house. Initial results:

Wearing the magnifying glasses in addition to my own varifocals, inside the veil, only increased the 'swimming' effect.

Wearing them in addition to reading glasses did help a bit.

They did, however, work quite well by removing the veil and peering closely at the objects. Obviously removing the veil would not be the optimal plan.

The best result was, reading glaases, regular magnifying glass, and no veil.

I think l shall have to invest in a Sherriff clear view hood after all (as S entinel seem to only make the complete bee suits). I do like Cole Lynch's idea of a DIY veil, but don't think l'd have the courage to take scissors to an otherwise good bee jacket.

Well, l have to report that the JML magnifying glasses didn't work at all for me. Of course too early to be looking for eggs, so experimented with small the smallest objects l could find in the house. Initial results:

Wearing the magnifying glasses in addition to my own varifocals, inside the veil, only increased the 'swimming' effect.

Wearing them in addition to reading glasses did help a bit.

They did, however, work quite well by removing the veil and peering closely at the objects. Obviously removing the veil would not be the optimal plan.

The best result was, reading glaases, regular magnifying glass, and no veil.

I think l shall have to invest in a Sherriff clear view hood after all (as S entinel seem to only make the complete bee suits). I do like Cole Lynch's idea of a DIY veil, but don't think l'd have the courage to take scissors to an otherwise good bee jacket.
The Sherriff veil is pretty good - I can see eggs with varifocals on. I used to use reading glasses but the distorted view (when not looking close up) caused me to become really clumsy around the hives, so gave up on that.
Good light and peering down the frame I found was key.
I hope you get sorted in time for inspection no1

I cn a USB LED penlight for such times when light is bad..

Latest posts

Back