varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kune

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
hi,i checked my test sheet today after putting some Bayvarol strips in yesterday and counted 14 mite.is this alot or should i be concerned.i am new to this so if i could get some positive answers.thanks:confused:

"some Bayvarol strips in "- plural???? - before you know if any treatment is needed?
(and whether or not the local mites are immune to the chemical anyway?) :svengo:

I personally wouldn't have the damn stuff anywhere near my bees, so I'll leave the explanation to others..........

o ya sorry i have small 5 frame and i put 2 strips into it. i did find some bees without wings and a few mites before i put them in.

Most mites are now immune to Bayvarol, so it is highly likely to be ineffective. I'm surprised anyone was selling it. Apiguard (which I use) is thymol based, and seems to be very effective.

Kune, can you answer the exam question please - in what part of the UK do you live? The fact that only a few mites fell out despite your overdosing means either you don't have many mites or the mites you have are resistant to the chemical in the strips.

As a control you could try chucking some icing sugar at them and see how many mites fall out. Ditto uncapping any drone brood. An infestation of more than 5% (1 in 20 drone pupa) would be a matter of concern although at this time of the year it could be a bit higher but either way it would suggest the presence of plenty of varroa.

But, a big but this having re-read your post, if you have seen bees with deformed wings you DO have a major varroa problem and 14 mites did not cause this. Even in a 5 frame colony expect several hundred to fall out if you treat effectively.

i did find ....... a few mites before i put them in.

Think! Doesn't this answer your question before posting this, after being told specifically that the mite is resistant to Bavarol in most areas of the UK?

There will be typically 20% of the total loading as the phoretic stage in the hive at this time of the year.

Seems that your bees may have come from a 'non-resistance' area but that result makes it looks very much like they did not.

Also without any history of the colony we would have no idea if this 'small nuc' was made up a very few days ago, using brood frames from a severely infested colony and 'relatively clean' bees from another source. It happens a lot.

So, yes, you should be concerned.

RAB

Last edited:
i do not live on the uk i live in ireland.the recommened dose for a 5 frame is 2 strips.is this an over dose?

What does it say on the packet? Hopefully the instructions should cover a full sized hive. For 5 frames halve it.

But as I said, if not many mites are falling out and you have bees with deformed wings it ain't working in my view.

hi, would it work that quick? i only put it in yesterday

Deformed wings or chewed wings..

I have sat and watched bees being kicked out of the hive and a few times I have seen a bee "holding" another bee and nibbling at it, and then it gets thrown off the board..

Latest posts

Back