Varroa-Virus Interaction in Collapsing Honey Bee Colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0057540
Editor: Stephen J. Martin, Sheffield University, United States of America

Abstract

Varroa mites and viruses are the currently the high-profile suspects in collapsing bee colonies. Therefore, seasonal variation in varroa load and viruses (Acute-Kashmir-Israeli complex (AKI) and Deformed Wing Virus (DWV)) were monitored in a year-long study.

We investigated the viral titres in honey bees and varroa mites from 23 colonies (15 apiaries)
under three treatment conditions: Organic acids (11 colonies), pyrethroid (9 colonies) and untreated (3 colonies). Approximately 200 bees were sampled every month from April 2011 to October 2011, and April 2012. The 200 bees were split to 10 subsamples of 20 bees and analysed separately, which allows us to determine the prevalence of virus-infected bees.

The treatment efficacy was often low for both treatments. In colonies where varroa treatment reduced the mite load, colonies overwintered successfully, allowing the mites and viruses to be carried over with the bees into the next season.

In general, AKI and DWV titres did not show any notable response to the treatment and steadily increased over the season from April to October. In the untreated control group, titres increased most dramatically. Viral copies were correlated to number of varroa mites. Most colonies that collapsed over the winter had significantly higher AKI and DWV titres in October compared to survivors. Only treated colonies survived the winter. We discuss our results in relation to the varroa-virus model developed by Stephen Martin

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

Was also a paper this year on the virus titre in Hawaiian honey bees, and how the varroa mite was just the vector as it was just one virus infected bee that transported the virus from island to island, and once the virus was there the infection was passed on via the mite.

My understanding of this ( if my understading is correct... it may not be) is that the virus spreads in a similar was to bubonic plague...

Virus infects person in country A
Person A travels to country B
Flea bites person in country B
Flea gets virus
Flea bites another person in country B
Flea hops on rat
Rat transports flea with virus..... viral disease goes epidemic.....

Upshot is that a virus can cross borders without the rat or the flea

Perhaps all species of everything moving across boarders.. to new lands etc... should be checked for virus?
Is this how the honeybee viruses AKI and DFW spread?

Last edited:
Is this how the honeybee viruses AKI and DFW spread?

It is not secret that thousands of queens goes over country borders via post or in persons' own pockets.
and millions of bees...

It is only 20 miles to Europe from UK.

Does UK send any queens or bees to other countries? - Why? ....Native quality...

Package bees in UK https://www.google.fi/#q=package+bees+uk

Last edited:

Does UK send any queens or bees to other countries? - Why? ....Native quality...

Package bees in UK https://www.google.fi/#q=package+bees+uk

And the simple fact that by the time UK queens are available in bulk - subject to our most unpredictable weather - the season may be 2/3rds of the way over.. or finished completely.

Does UK send any queens or bees to other countries?

Possibly...
many queens are raised in the UK by breeders and small scale beekeepers for their own use ... less than 0.05% are imported which is when you think about it a very small number

[

many queens are raised in the UK by breeders and small scale beekeepers for their own use ... less than 0.05% are imported which is when you think about it a very small number

mathematics does not seem to be one of your best talents, and not to mention trading

And I asked exporting

Last edited:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0057540
Editor: Stephen J. Martin, Sheffield University, United States of America

Abstract

Varroa mites and viruses are the currently the high-profile suspects in collapsing bee colonies. Therefore, seasonal variation in varroa load and viruses (Acute-Kashmir-Israeli complex (AKI) and Deformed Wing Virus (DWV)) were monitored in a year-long study.

We investigated the viral titres in honey bees and varroa mites from 23 colonies (15 apiaries)
under three treatment conditions: Organic acids (11 colonies), pyrethroid (9 colonies) and untreated (3 colonies). Approximately 200 bees were sampled every month from April 2011 to October 2011, and April 2012. The 200 bees were split to 10 subsamples of 20 bees and analysed separately, which allows us to determine the prevalence of virus-infected bees.

The treatment efficacy was often low for both treatments. In colonies where varroa treatment reduced the mite load, colonies overwintered successfully, allowing the mites and viruses to be carried over with the bees into the next season.

In general, AKI and DWV titres did not show any notable response to the treatment and steadily increased over the season from April to October. In the untreated control group, titres increased most dramatically. Viral copies were correlated to number of varroa mites. Most colonies that collapsed over the winter had significantly higher AKI and DWV titres in October compared to survivors. Only treated colonies survived the winter. We discuss our results in relation to the varroa-virus model developed by Stephen Martin

Yet more confirmation that the future lies with breeding hardier bees.

Yet more confirmation that the future lies with breeding hardier bees.

Most certainly.... seems to be a trait for bees to bite varroa mite and generally groom ( clean bees) in some colonies of Amm, but also reported in papers on Caucasian ( Turkish/Greek?) bees.

An area that needs to have a lot more research... money thrown at it!

Most certainly.... seems to be a trait for bees to bite varroa mite and generally groom ( clean bees) in some colonies of Amm, but also reported in papers on Caucasian ( Turkish/Greek?) bees.

There is also a theory that mites deemed to have bite marks, are actually just showing signs of dehydration after death- crumpling, basically.

There is also a theory that mites deemed to have bite marks, are actually just showing signs of dehydration after death- crumpling, basically.

Legs appearing to be bitten off also ?

But wouldn't it be great IF bees could defend themselves against the mite... so poo pooing the suggestion seems a bit negative IMOVLE

Sheffield University, Sheffield, Yorkshire. Not USA

He's now at Salford University

http://www.salford.ac.uk/environment-life-sciences/els-academics/steven-martin

I wonder where I got that USA. I have noticed that some Sheffield professor makes reasech in USA too.

Lets look again. So it is. Somebody has *.*: Editor: Stephen J. Martin, Sheffield University, United States of America

With him there are two Finnish researchers too Heikki Helanterä and Emma Vitikainen (Exceter U). They are boath ant researchers.

Martin, S. J., Vitikainen, E, Helanterä, H., Drijfhout, F.P. (2008) Chemical basis of nestmate recognition in the ant Formica exsecta. Proceedings of the Royal Society B. 275, 1271-1278.

Last edited:
But Holy Moly Sheffield University ! Five Nobel Prize-winners in Medicine and Chemistry.

http://www.topuniversities.com/universities/university-sheffield/undergrad

The University of Sheffield was founded in 1905. It started as the Sheffield School of Medicine which opened in 1828. The University has now grown to more than 24,000 students with over 4,000 international students from 131 countries.

Sheffield revieled "the mystery of Laying Worker Queen" about 10 years ago.

Last edited:
The important thing I noted about this thread is that (properly) treated colonies survive the winter?

If that is one of the main thrusts of the research it vindicates those who treat properly in the autumn before the winter bees are produced and do not mess around with oxalic acid trickling in winter even though some say it must be done. Bees are not saved from winter death by oxalic acid trickling. That is the clear message to me.

RAB

Bees are not saved from winter death by oxalic acid trickling. That is the clear message to me.

RAB

That is 100% true. I have 2 beekeeping friends next to me (0,5 km and 5 km)and they hate oxalic acid

They boath use thymol pads when they feed the bees for winter, and their hives are in good condition. No problems with mites.

Oxalic acid hits the last mite survivors for next summer that the amount does not rise too high before next treatment.

Last edited:
The important thing I noted about this thread is that (properly) treated colonies survive the winter?

If that is one of the main thrusts of the research it vindicates those who treat properly in the autumn before the winter bees are produced and do not mess around with oxalic acid trickling in winter even though some say it must be done. Bees are not saved from winter death by oxalic acid trickling. That is the clear message to me.

RAB

Oxalic acid hits the last mite survivors for next summer that the amount does not rise too high before next treatment.

Which is why I do it. I'm not trusting to any single solution, it's all about IPM.

This is for you Finman, my friend, it has just arrived in my mailbox. I see you enjoy the dingging into scietific papers

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ele.12188/pdf

Yeah. Moderator wrote that this forum is meant to be a funny place and nothing scientic forum.

And before night sleep that text, öh!

..............A model how neonicotinoid kills bumblebees..

...I trust, that Mother Russia with its Great Siberia sends to us spring year new bumblebees. But, neonicotinoid usage stops next year. Even this year rape fields were here few. Reason was that farmers got poor yields during last two summer.

http://www.international-issues.org/wp/images/2010/07/CIS.jpg

Last edited:

RAB

Have noted that colonies with a large drop of mite in Autumnal Apiguard treatment also present a large drop of mites with vaporisation of OA in midwinter, Colonies with very low Autumnal drop have few if any mites dropped with midwinter vaporisation and clearly show some level of "clean" behaviour... need to look more closely at this.

"Have noted that colonies with a large drop of mite in Autumnal Apiguard treatment also present a large drop of mites with vaporisation of OA in midwinter, Colonies with very low Autumnal drop have few if any mites dropped with midwinter vaporisation"

obvious really - apiguard is say 90% effective.

two colonies - 100 mites and 1000 mites. drops are 90 & 900. leaving 10 & 100 to reproduce before winter. still a 10 fold difference in numbers at OA time.

Latest posts

Back