Varroa treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam C Ryan

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How many strips of Bayvarol do l needfor my hives. My large hive has 7 frames of bees. Then l have two smaller hives ,one has 5 frames of bees the small nuc has 3 frames and how long do l leave the strips in for.
Regards
Liam C

None, use a thymol treatment as the chances are the mites are resistant to the treatment you are suggesting. However, if you want to use it, follow the instructions on the packet.

Who sold you the Bayvarrol? A beebandit sold me some once when I was a beginner, even though he knew that varroa in our area is resistant to it and treating with Bayvarrol does more harm than good.

Hi PW, could u expand on that point, please, thanks

As far as I know , varroa mite nearly everywhere in the UK and Ireland have adapted so that they are no longer affected by Bayvarrol. Using Bayvarrol therefore does the bees some harm and no good.

The shopkeeper that sold me it knew full well that it was not a good treatment. I was ripped off. I use thymol now in the autumn to reduce varroa load.

karin

Bayvarol is now useless in treating varroa - ineffective- they are resistant- if you have been sold it - take it back and tell them they are a disgrace to be peddling it!!

He might eventually tell you he is in Ireland and that they don't have 'resistant' mites.

Regards, RAB

In Ireland Bayvarol is the Department of Agriculture reccomended & approved treatement for varroa

"There are only two chemical treatments licensed for use in Ireland. They are Bayvarol and Apiguard. Bayvarol has been a most efficient treatment for Varroa. However, there are signs of resistance to Bayvarol developing in the Island of Ireland. In order to retain Bayvarol within the armoury of treatments total reliance must no longer be made on it. This means that Apiguard must be used more frequently."

Latest posts

Back