varroa treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slider955i

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
this has no doubt been asked before but what/when /how would you personally do/use for varroa ttreatment ?

many thanks in advance bee-smillie

Oxalic on or near boxing day.:xmas-smiley-016::nature-smiley-12:

Apiguard this year - bought before I saw Hivemaker's recipe - so will try that next year.

After the honey harvest. When necessary, after checks.

Much better to be attacking the varroa all season, if checks indicate the need before the end of the season, using non-chemical measures.

It's not really a when or how topic; more a how do you check and what do you do if/when those checks are indicating action required - all throughout the year.

RAB

At the weekend. Own variant of ApiSusbees...thymol/essential oil/Pura/sugar for the hives that need it.

Thymol bought and intending to have a go at Hivemakers recipe in the coming weeks. Unsure yet about Oxalic, but will probably appy Dec/Jan

A drone check indicated high levels in one hive 2 weeks ago, culled all drone brood, which was riddled with varroa. Honey removed, and apiguard put in last week end. The other colonies have low drop levels - one or two in 24 hours, even when provoked by icing sugar. They'll be treated later.

i have just got through the post some apiguard and an eke and mouse guard so i hope i`m all set but one thing i would like to ask quick without hijacking the thread is if i stay on brood and a half but have only just taken the Q,excluder off and theres not much stores in the half yet and no brood at all do i put apiguard on the very top or between just over brood box or should it be main brood box only when treating?

I wouldn't treat with Apiguard with super on because I wouldn't want any stores in the super to semll of thymol in case I wanted to take off the honey in future.

I am very excited that I received a big bit of green oasis in the post yesterday, so now have everything I need to try Hivemaker's recipe.

I do drone culling in Summer and oxalic in Winter too. I have tried icing sugar but didn't like the mess. I have tried Hiveclean and think it is too expensive.

Have started my treatment yesterday with apilife var on 4 colonies and the rest on Apigard I must say that Apilife Var is rather expensive as you need 4 strips per hive at a cost of £12.42 for the 4 strips with thornes prices going at £3.13 per strip as per instructions on the packet.

Therefore will not bother with these again, so I bought a tub of Apiguard for £88.80 this will treat 30 hives at a cost per hive of £2.92 a huge difference when you consider one has to treat a lot of colonies.

Will be using OX in the new year 2011.

Gillybee.

Latest posts

Back