Varroa treatment with virgin Q?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi,
We have a varroa problem at the moment which I don't think can wait until August, so I want to treat asap. The thing is the bees have a Q that they're not happy with and at the moment there is a supercedure cell (capped) in the hive, which should hatch next weekend.

Should I wait until the new Q has hatched and hopefully mated before treating with apiguard, as I don't want to do something to chase her off or ruin the mating process?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi,
We have a varroa problem at the moment which I don't think can wait until August, so I want to treat asap. The thing is the bees have a Q that they're not happy with and at the moment there is a supercedure cell (capped) in the hive, which should hatch next weekend.

Should I wait until the new Q has hatched and hopefully mated before treating with apiguard, as I don't want to do something to chase her off or ruin the mating process?

Thanks for any advice.

If broodless i would spray twice with lactic acid now 3 days apart , i have just done it to a broodless swarm, if you use apigaurd , i would take if off before she emerges then wait until she is laying eggs then do it.again..try to get all the varroa before they dive into the fresh brood.....or if brood less now the alternative would be to add a frame of open brood from another hive to trap the varro and bin it once all is capped...better in the longer term to loose brrod if it gets rid of the varroa

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back