Varroa treatment in spring?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes ... JBM ... definitely onto a winner this time ... the BEE No DISPOSABLE Hive Entrance Doormat ... Not just a one off ... we can sell packs of 10 and have the unsuspecting, gullible beekeepers changing them weekly. Beats the hell out of the Beehive Spring Clean Pack ...
Could make it so the bees could rasp off the varroa too

I hate to say but I bet thornes have already patented it. It can go beside the bee gym, merry go round, and the water buggie feeder😉

Could make it so the bees could rasp off the varroa too
I remember many moons ago SWMBO as the then 'bee Officer' for the Welsh Government attending a conference organised by the NBU, one of the speakers there was trying to 'sell' his idea of a varroa treatment which worked a bit like a doormat, acting by treating the bees as they exited and entered the hive.

and their backsides too I think
Better do some redesigning then ... the Bee No Disposable Arsewipe and Footwipe Hive Entrance Doormat ....might have to be a bit bigger than I envisaged to get the name on it ...

Last edited:
I remember many moons ago SWMBO as the then 'bee Officer' for the Welsh Government attending a conference organised by the NBU, one of the speakers there was trying to 'sell' his idea of a varroa treatment which worked a bit like a doormat, acting by treating the bees as they exited and entered the hive.
Now there you go again ... more opportunities ... a sort of varroa brush as they walk over the doormat ?

Better do some more redesigning then ... the Bee No Disposable Arsewipe, Footwipe Hive Entrance Doormat and Varroa Brush ... it's got a certain ring to it I feel ....someone would buy it. Perhaps look at crowdfunding ...

This comes up year after year. There are figures somewhere....Randy Oliver maybe.... that show vaped hives do not have any more oxalic acid in the boney than the amount that occurs naturally. At the risk of incurring Beeno's wrath there is even a way of vaping with supers on in an emergency.
There are studies that confirm the opposite if you treat in spring. One was a Swedish one. I think it is important to know that not everyone has the same results or opinions.

I have seen two DW bees on the landing board of one hive, should I treat or accept this is just evidence of varroa which will inevitably still be present this time of year? I treated with Apivar Life in September and trickle OA in mid December.

I have seen two DW bees on the landing board of one hive, should I treat or accept this is just evidence of varroa which will inevitably still be present this time of year? I treated with Apivar Life in September and trickle OA in mid December.
There will always be varroa in a hive. DWV is not always an indication of varroa as it does not need to be vectored by varroa. They were being ejected! I would wait until the weather warms up and put a super frame in the brood box for them to build drone comb under and take it from there.

" beeno said: Just remember that the OA crystals from vaping will be absorbed in the honey in the brood box. Most honey in the supers come via the brood box. "

The implication is that OA will be absorbed into the uncapped honey in the BROOD box and the honey then gets transferred to the supers. Which, as far as I know, is nonsense.

It is "nonsense", that's why I did not think its what she intended to convey. I was giving her the benefit of doubt. But I could be wrong.

If that is what you blieve beeno, than I highly recommend you watch some of the youtube/honey show vids by Tom Seeley. He does an amazing job of explaining the different roles bees play and the inner workings of the hive. I learnt a lot from his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmMQM2uMc7jNRg-qz4jZHA

There will always be varroa in a hive. DWV is not always an indication of varroa as it does not need to be vectored by varroa. They were being ejected! I would wait until the weather warms up and put a super frame in the brood box for them to build drone comb under and take it from there.
... and take it from there .... Do you mean l should remove and destroy the resulting drone brood, on the basis that it will have attracted varroa into the drone cells? I don't like the idea of destroying anything.

... and take it from there .... Do you mean l should remove and destroy the resulting drone brood, on the basis that it will have attracted varroa into the drone cells? I don't like the idea of destroying anything.
There have been attempts to control varroa this way.

There are studies that confirm the opposite if you treat in spring. One was a Swedish one.
The US EPA will allow OA treatment of colonies with supers from April this year.

Euro beekeepers* funded exhaustive testing and jumping through legislative hoops and the EU then concluded that ordinary OA was no big deal and residue in honey was not worth the worry.

*Myopic and useless GB beekeeping powers decided not to support the work needed to achieve this practical and positive legislation.

US EPA dosen't permit the use of generic oa whether dribbling or oav, the product has to be the licensed Apibioxal with supers on from info I have read.

Latest posts

Back