Varroa treatment in March

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeconfused

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have just been watching a Youtube video by Simon the Beekeeper recommending what hive activity should be done in March.
It is a very informative video but one of things he recommends is doing a three week Varroa treatment using ApiLife Var in March before putting on the Supers.
I have not done this before. Usually I add my Supers early in April and extract a good crop of Spring honey (from Rapeseed) in mid May.
My question is this....
If I start a three week ApiLife Var varroa treatment now, how long do I need to leave it afterwards before putting on my Supers?
I did an Apilife Var treatment last September and it gives off a really strong smelling vapour.
I am concerned that if I add my Supers immediately after the varroa treatment has finished (in early April) my Spring honey will be tainted with an Apivar taste.

Any honey may still be so tainted even with out supers on, it will all depend on any early spring nectar and the quantity as at some stage any excess may be moved up by the colony.
One is best to sticking to the current practice of late summer & late Autumn treatment, the way it's going beeks will treating all year round because of fussing over varroa. It's all about controlled management then eradication which isn't going to happen.

Last edited:
I have just been watching a Youtube video
There lies danger.

As you treated last autumn and all is well, don't be led astray. If it goes pear-shaped when you open up, sublimated OA x 3 x 5 days apart will not leave residue greater than background levels (see the recent US EPA decision which permits use of OA with supers, and the EC regs. which permit use of ordinary OA).

In GB we must by VMD law use ApiBioxal at a higher price and less efficient use for no good reason.

Last edited:
Question is did you do a winter treatment of oxalic? If yes there’s no need for a spring treatment. And it’s certainly cheaper than thymol without any tainting or temperature concerns. March or even April can be borderline for thymol temperature requirements. Whilst not against spring treatments and maybe if you did treat early autumn they may be needed, I’ve not often felt the need with a winter oxalic to worry about varroa until Autumn comes around. So a lesson for next year at least. Ian

Last edited:
Reactions: mbc
Thanks everyone for your great advice. As a result of your comments I have decided to avoid putting ApiLife Var into any of my hives this month. I think it may linger in the hives even after the treatment has finished and could taint the Spring honey. I did varroa treatments last September and Oxalic in December and had no plans to treat again now until I watched the Simon the Beekeeper video.
I plan to do the same as last year i.e. add Supers in early April, start inspections mid April and hopefully extract honey mid to late May.

Any honey may still be so tainted even with out supers on, it will all depend on any early spring nectar and the quantity as at some stage any excess may be moved up by the colony.
One is best to sticking to the current practice of late summer & late Autumn treatment, the way it's going beeks will treating all year round because of fussing over varroa. It's all about controlled management then eradication which isn't going to happen.
Thank you, good advice.

Thanks everyone for your great advice. As a result of your comments I have decided to avoid putting ApiLife Var into any of my hives this month. I think it may linger in the hives even after the treatment has finished
Okay, let's get a few facts straight (rather than the misleading posts based on opinion and guesswork put on here in the last few days)
I have read the manufacturers packaging leaflet and is pretty clear on this
Do not use in temperatures of over 30° Centigrade
Using in temperatures of under 15°C can lower the effectivenes
Do not use during a honey flow
do not use with supers on
It is safe to put supers on immediately after the treatment ends
depending on the varroa drop, it doesn't have to be on for four weeks, although if not, it will not be as effective.
The only reference to treating late summer/after the honey flow ends is that they mention that doing it at that time may be more effective as there will be less brood.
So if you need it, use it - there is nothing stopping you from doing so.

Okay, let's get a few facts straight (rather than the misleading posts based on opinion and guesswork put on here in the last few days)
I have read the manufacturers packaging leaflet and is pretty clear on this
Do not use in temperatures of over 30° Centigrade
Using in temperatures of under 15°C can lower the effectivenes
Do not use during a honey flow
do not use with supers on
It is safe to put supers on immediately after the treatment ends
depending on the varroa drop, it doesn't have to be on for four weeks, although if not, it will not be as effective.
The only reference to treating late summer/after the honey flow ends is that they mention that doing it at that time may be more effective as there will be less brood.
So if you need it, use it - there is nothing stopping you from doing so.
Thank you. Good advice. I am learning all the time. This forum is very helpful.

If you look very carefully at Simon's bee suit I don't think he's pulled the vertical zip up above the horizontal veil zip. That's the commonest carelessness that causes me to get bees within the veil.. Once there I know I will be stung.

Good choice you treated Autumn and winter, I think you’ve covered yourself. Minimal chances you’ll need to do more again till Autumn again

How about MAQS? I did Autumn MAQS and December OA trickle (ApiLife). I'm still seeing varroa on the varroa under O.M. Floor insert. 10 to 20 a week.

Do you think the colony will have expanded to be large enough to enable MAQs use? (How long is a piece of string I know!!)

I have not done an inspection yet (check brood etc.) Just top feeding Fondant but they have their own stores as well.

I might be fussing too much about varroa at this early time. A bit of input / guidance would be greatly appreciated.

How about MAQS? I did Autumn MAQS and December OA trickle (ApiLife). I'm still seeing varroa on the varroa under O.M. Floor insert. 10 to 20 a week.

Do you think the colony will have expanded to be large enough to enable MAQs use? (How long is a piece of string I know!!)

I have not done an inspection yet (check brood etc.) Just top feeding Fondant but they have their own stores as well.

I might be fussing too much about varroa at this early time. A bit of input / guidance would be greatly appreciated.
It's still way too early for MAQS.
The strips need plenty of ventilation in the hive, especially on the first day before the vapours have had a chance to dissipate. Far too cold now in March.

MAQS also needs bees on 6 full frames. Leave till it's warm enough for your first inspection and assess then. (I certainly wouldn't be doing either of STBK's recommended treatments now either.)

Here in sunny Essex the temps are single figures all week (5°c this afternoon).

If a varroa treatment is needed in March perhaps a passive oxalic dose a la the abelo oxalic glycerine strips might be the way

If a varroa treatment is needed in March perhaps a passive oxalic dose a la the abelo oxalic glycerine strips might be the way
Possibly... unless you have managed to force some rhubarb:icon_204-2:

Suggestion would be to check the Varroa load with an alcohol wash.
Drone culling throughout the season may be another way forward.
How effective was the Autumn treatment... and what did you use? possibly consider another treatment regime going into next winter...
Did you use Amitraz?.... possible Varroa resistance... I have read ( as you do!) that some have reported some less than hoped for results.

Chons da

Possibly... unless you have managed to force some rhubarb:icon_204-2:

Suggestion would be to check the Varroa load with an alcohol wash.
Drone culling throughout the season may be another way forward.
How effective was the Autumn treatment... and what did you use? possibly consider another treatment regime going into next winter...
Did you use Amitraz?.... possible Varroa resistance... I have read ( as you do!) that some have reported some less than hoped for results.

Chons da
Alcohol wash would be madness before they've crossed over and then some into new season bees.

Alcohol wash would be madness before they've crossed over and then some into new season bees.
But it would give a better indication of level of infestation in the colony that looking for Varroa on an inspection board.. Shirley???

Latest posts

Back