Varroa, 'no end in sight'

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
One of my hives is dropping 60 to 70 varroa per day after 5 1/2 weeks with no end in sight. All my other hives have finished the apiguard treatment, with a drop count of zero.

I can only assume the first tray of apiguard wasn't doing the job, either cold weather or a dodgy batch!!

Or very heavily infested hive? And loads of brood in there where they are leaping in to, to escape. :(

There is still a surprising amount of brood in my colonies.

They are still holed up which makes me wonder about the usefulness of these treatments at this time.

PH

Think that is why the Apilife, covering a 4 week course ,should hit a lot through the cycle, surely.

Update

I checked the hive again today and the second apiguard tray has almost finished, the count was down to about 40, so I have inserted a third tray of apiguard and see how it goes.

The hive has plenty of stores and brood as I requeened 6 weeks ago, so apart from the varroa issue, the colony is in good condition.

Never a dull moment in beekeeping!!!

I have the same situation with one hive.
I'll try a 3rd Apiguard (and perhaps feed at the same time)

back with a quick update.

Checked the hive once again after 6 weeks and 4 days and the mite drop was down to 6, then next day is was zero.

Remember this hive was dropping 40 to 70 mites per day for well over 6 weeks, now i can start feeding so the catch up with the other hives.

On a separate note the Ivy flow has just started in north Dorset.

Latest posts

Back