varroa mites in colonies 2010

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone noticed a drop in the amount of Verroa mites in their hives this year ?

Was talking to another local beekeeper yesterday who also reported a reduced amount seen(not counted)over this time last year.

i had the inspection board on for 3 days prior to last inspection. not a single mite found.
was even wearing a head magnifier to be sure!

Can't say it's a drop because loading last year were low, but certainly seeing low levels this year as well.

"Apparently" much lower this year.

I say apparently because I put the boards in about 3 days ago and have checked each day. One of the boards definitely had 2 mites on it. The next day they had gone.

Ants? If so, then they may well be taking a vast number of mites away and I wouldn't know.

My boards are not sticky.

A definite yes, I have a board under my strongest hive this week (SE Ireland) and not one mite. Have they picked up a virus!!!

Have they picked up a virus!!!

Now that would be sweet! A parasite, knocked out by it's own parasite (okay I know a virus isn't a true parasite but don't spoil the vision!)

I have been wondering about this as I checked some open drone brood yesterday and not a mite to be seen.

Note to self double check sealed brood.

PH

I have been wondering about this as I checked some open drone brood yesterday and not a mite to be seen.

Note to self double check sealed brood.

PH

Mites enter drone cells just as sealing commences (I doubt you seeing varroa in open brood , your timing would have to be inspired).

John Wilkinson

The effects of the cold winter on brood production will have helped but it could be like I experienced last year, very low count during summer and then a huge spike in early September. At the time I jokingly put it down to the varroa having evolved a tighter grip on the bees. :)

Another local beek claims that his varroa drop on one colony on a double Langstroth is zero. A colony that he didn't treat overwinter. He usually uses oxalic vaporisation except his vaporiser couldn't fit through the disc entrance he fitted. He has recently been selected for the CSL sampling / DNA test and the bee inspector saw no evidence of varroa or the effects of varroa on one of his colonies.

We did have varroa in all of our colonies before winter, though in low numbers. We got one swarm from around 25 miles away (no idea of the origin) in August and after winter it was the only surviving colony. So far this year there's been no sign of varroa at all in it or the colonies we've brought on from it, so we might just be lucky and temporarily varroa-free - at least until some passing drone brings it back in...

culled and inspected loads of sealed drone brood @ last weekend, zero mites found !!

apiguard in sept, OA on jan 1st

culled and inspected loads of sealed drone brood @ last weekend, zero mites found !!

Why? Why not check again. You may find you can save some considerable expense. Paying to kill something which is not there is not too cost efective!

Or is this history, not the future?

Regards, RAB

Why? Why not check again. You may find you can save some considerable expense. Paying to kill something which is not there is not too cost efective!

Or is this history, not the future?

Regards, RAB

History, RAB. I won't treat just for the sake of it!!

As a little note, as I seem to be the only beekeeper with varroa this year - in one hive separate from the rest which seem fine, this was a bought in nuc in April which had been hivecleaned twice prior to dispatch. Hence my dubiousness about the product. They have been drone-brooded twice and sugared twice and will get the full oxalic/thymol this Sept/Dec. They have been building OK but not spectacularly and shown no interest in swarming.

I must be bottom of the class as my hives are full of varroa, had to take honey off one to treat with formic acid.

Hopefully next year will be better

Not Counted yet.

Well, I've definitely got some. Photos show drone brood removed from a 'National' frame in a 14*12 BB plus at least 1 varoa. There were several. Note to self: must go and buy a capping fork.

Latest posts

Back