Varroa Mesh Size

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuckUk

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm looking for a supplier of varroa mesh, preferably s/steel... having found The Mesh Company they are offering a good deal on a slightly smaller hole size of 2mm... Is this too small for the varroa to drop through? Or should I stick with the 2.5mm?

Mesh Count: 10 holes per linear inch and 100 holes per square inch
Grade: 304 - This is the industry standard grade of SS
Wire Dia: 0.56mm
Aperture: 1.98mm - this is the hole size and it is square

varhooa mesh size

Hi Puckuk, I have recently bought 5 sheets of japanned steel mesh, good quality, 18 ins square, 5 sheets for £24 inc vat and P&P from Peter McFadden in Wales

Thanks Bebop

But I don't think japaned is the same quality as stainless steel?

Longevity and scorch resistance?

Hmm, I bought my mesh from the mesh company, haven't seen any varroa drop in a while. Think I'd better do some drone brood uncapping.

I think I might be misleading you... their original product is fine, I've used it for a couple of years, with plenty of varroa drop.

I was looking at alternatives, they have a slightly smaller hole size mesh as an option that is cheaper.... the question was, is it too small for the varroa to easily drop through?

Their original varroa mesh has a hole size of 2.5mm, whereas the alternative is a 2mm hole option.

Think it's perhaps not worth the effort of an extra 2 panels for the same price!

Latest posts

Back