Varroa issues help please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
when reading another site about keeping bee's i have come across this i quote.

unless you're using small cell foundation, you're giving them cells that are larger than they want and giving the advantage to the Varroa.

Is there any facts to this ?

Last edited:
Varroa issues help please

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
when reading another site about keeping bee's i have come across this i quote.

unless you're using small cell foundation, you're giving them cells that are larger than they want and giving the advantage to the Varroa.

Is there any facts to this ?

Every beekeeper should know the life cycle of Varroa and any other parasites.

http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/creatures/misc/bees/varroa_mite.htm#life

Regards;

Well..........(where angels fear to tread!)......
It's another one of those theories (and there are an awful lot of them in beekeeping) that may have at least some sense and truth in them.
The theory goes that using the "bigger is better" theory, it was (historically) decided that if you made foundation cell sizes larger, you got larger bees, and more honey......
Then someone "discovered" that if you took modern "big is better" bees you could, over several generations, regress them to smaller cell sizes, the theory being that it was more natural, and there's less room for varroa mites......
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle - I'm uneasy about forcing bees to do anything which doesn't come naturally, hence Top Bar Hives suit my way of doing things - the bees can build whatever comb and cell size that they choose, and I gather that over time they will probably end up in smaller cell sizes as a result - as to whether that'll be a "cure for varroa" all on it's own, I haven't a clue, but I'm tempted by the idea that "natural is probably better"..........

Not a lot; some conflicting. I daresay it may depend on the bees actual size.

Regression, to natural cell size, by the bees may be good but it takes time for them to get there. And then they are crossed with another strain and things change again.

Embossed foundation is always the norm for the commercial boys and they know best - err, don't they? So it (smaller cell size) may be better but less honey.

When sorted one way or the other we should all take note. Until then some of us are letting them build what they want on a small scale, but not enough to be definitive about it. The TBH groups will always get natural cell size but it may take a couple generations for everything to settle down even with them.

It has been shown that it is the ratio of cell diameter to depth which is fairly constant for a given strain, so the frame separation may be important too.

Certainly a shorter metamorphosis period is in the favour of the bee rather than the mite.

Regards, RAB

well the site i got it from seems to think that there bees live without treatment , but use natural cell size. They let the bees make there own minds on size. Now i wouldn't of thought that the bees would build a comb size they didn't want.
Also goes on alot about foundation and no nead for it as it is not pure and not that healthy for the bees. The site seems to say that from past experience the bees build comb quicker without foundation.
anyway note to me,, must use search tab

May I ask where are you getting this information from?

regards;

well the site i got it from seems to think that there bees live without treatment , but use natural cell size.

All the feral colonies used natural cell size. It didn't help them much - not many left now.

All the feral colonies used natural cell size. It didn't help them much - not many left now.

Wightbees

Keep it simple, either go for standard format on BS national way (or similat TBS) or Bros' TBH way, when you can look after bees in a few years time , then you can manipulate them ,so if nationals if you wish then try one of your hives onto 4.9mm foundation 32mm spacing or the italian 5.4mm and 46mm spacing...but become a good beekeeper first

TBH, well they are Natural brood on a mix of 4.7mm to 6.4mm depending on what the Bee wants ,not you..ask Bros what his Bees biuld, i think even with a tbh there is some unantural intevention as the shape and width of top bars determines the comb spacing (though may be wrong)
once I get back to full beekekeeping and about 5 fives (i have moved recently) i am going to try ONE hive with a country black bee on wired standard frames without foundation ( only starter strips), This is my varient of Tegetmeier cottage hive 1868, just yet i cannot yet go as far as Bros's TBH...so a sort of half way stage. the bees will biuld brood as they want

Last edited:
Weight bees?

If it sounds too easy and good to be true.... it is...

Everything on the net is accurate?

PH

Dee and Ed Lusby in arizona have had success with small cell by all accounts but I wouldnt rely on it in the uk.
Where have all the varroa gone?
Did a few sugar shakes yesterday to compare colonies that had had an oxalic trickle to ones that hadnt and there was no difference, very few varroa (ones and twos only)
Is the plague of varroa on the wane?

There are much beekeepers whose whole life runs around varroa.
They life is a some kind of varroa oriented missiles.

To me varroa is a friend. It killed all feral German Black bees from Finland and lazy beekeepers. Beekeeping has been much more easier after varroa invasion and even yields have been bigger. Bad luck with my friends. I must poison them once a year.

Killing lazy beekeepers is not only against the law in britain , but its also considered rude.
No wonder you have to make friends with little mites many times smaller than you Finman:)

Killing lazy beekeepers is not only against the law in britain , but its also considered rude.
No wonder you have to make friends with little mites many times smaller than you Finman:)

Yes, I know, it is you special weather.

ARE WE READY FOR TODAYS HERATIC STATEMENT.

why not rid your self of varroa??

it can be done but whether you want to do it and whether they stay clean for long is a differant matter. but its just an idea

Are you itching round the scroat?

HP
I don't have Varroa the bees do.

Regards;

ARE WE READY FOR TODAYS HERATIC STATEMENT.

why not rid your self of varroa??

it can be done but whether you want to do it and whether they stay clean for long is a differant matter. but its just an idea

Tweezers,a mirror for seeing under the bee's belly as they walk in through a clear plastic tube,kind of miniture cattle crush.

Now i read that the ph is too high in the sugar syrup, has anyone tried bring the ph down to see if the bees like it better :)

Latest posts

Back