Varroa floor/Omf

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Enough
Hi all,

I am looking to buy some open mesh floors with a wooden insert.
Am I right in thinking there is a difference between 'varroa floors' and just plain 'omf's'??

You seem to be able to get one with a cardboard insert, but I like the one with the wooden insert.

Answers gratefully received!

Yes there are a few types some good some bad beware of cheap ones that use a PVC insert too, I've used these and I don't think they are great. A good OMF should be durable made from at least 18mm cedar with a slide out tray made from 3.6mm ext grade ply.

Mark
as above,but a thicker slide of 9mm tends to have less warping problems,than the thinner ply.

Mark
as above,but a thicker slide of 9mm tends to have less warping problems,than the thinner ply.

Quite right hive maker, I actually use 6mm not 3.6mm which has served me well enough without any warping issues.

Thanks.

Any recommendations of good suppliers? Or is that against forum rules?
Shouldn't be as it's not a 'plug'.

maisemore sale had good quality seconds at decent price with wooden tray - £15.50 assembled - now sold out i think.

Thanks.

Any recommendations of good suppliers? Or is that against forum rules?
Shouldn't be as it's not a 'plug'.

If you look at the names of some of the people replying it will give you some idea of who to pm lol

An Open Mesh Floor (OMF) and Varroa Floor are one and the same thing.

The latter would not fit the description if it came without a varroa inspection tray.

So an OMF with an inspection tray is by definition a Varroa Floor. Can't complain if it's sold as an OMF and comes without a tray.

Largely a case of perspective. An example from electronics: Opto Isolator or Opto coupler? It depends if your main concern is galvanic isolation or coupling of a signal. :)

Nothing like a direct answer to the original question I guess, Thanks for the heads up MA.

Latest posts

Back