Varroa feed on bees’ fat bodies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But then we would have done something. In the meantime I will continue to sublimate OA, especially as it seems that varroa do not build resistance to it.
Some people on this forum have had problems with the effectiveness of sublimation? This is usually blamed on a re-infestation bomb from some imaginary dying colony - not very scientific?

Some people on this forum have had problems with the effectiveness of sublimation? This is usually blamed on a re-infestation bomb from some imaginary dying colony - not very scientific?
Yes so it would seem. The important thing is to minimise the varroa burden/load in your hives, by whatever means you choose. I choose OA as it occurs naturally and sublimation works. It is the most effective method when used as recommended/directed.

Thanks,
This is well known which is why you don't do it with brood present.
I don't think many people trickle any more.....do they?

Trickling OA in syrup at Christmas was fashionable on here a couple of years back... I recall a number of posts where meself and a few others were lambasted for saying it was not a great idea!

No worries... now we have fashionable "shook swarming" to cause a brood break!

Chons da

One step in the right direction would be to cull those colonies with massive varroa load. Some bees just seem to be varroa farms.

Fascinating... I'm not sure how the study helps us with the problem of varroa ... except, it occurred to me that, if you could provide a food source for the varroa mite that is more desirable than bee fat, you could create varroa traps inside the hive, that would attract the mites and from which they could be culled.

I wonder what bee fat consists of that makes it desirable to Varroa mites ?

Fascinating... I'm not sure how the study helps us with the problem of varroa ... except, it occurred to me that, if you could provide a food source for the varroa mite that is more desirable than bee fat, you could create varroa traps inside the hive, that would attract the mites and from which they could be culled.

I wonder what bee fat consists of that makes it desirable to Varroa mites ?

I've not read the paper yet, but it strikes me that there may be more than one stimulus at work. Initially there may be something that attracts mites to jump onto bees, then something else that controls their feeding.

Perhaps what might be required is something that they find more drawn towards than nurse bees. Especially if it can be combined with something else that prevents them escaping, leaves them unable to reproduce or kills them.

On the other hand, if it were that easy someone would have done it already :)

James

I've not read the paper yet, but it strikes me that there may be more than one stimulus at work. Initially there may be something that attracts mites to jump onto bees, then something else that controls their feeding.

Perhaps what might be required is something that they find more drawn towards than nurse bees. Especially if it can be combined with something else that prevents them escaping, leaves them unable to reproduce or kills them.

On the other hand, if it were that easy someone would have done it already :)

James
Every day with the bees is a learning day ... most things that benefit beekeepers arise through a happy accident after observation ... who knows what will come of it ?

One thing I learnt today during a lecture from Jeff Pettit at NHS was that varroa only goes into drone cells of Apis Cerana as when they occupy the workers cells the larvae die hence killing the varroa. Probably the reason the two have coexisted for so long.

Perhaps what might be required is something that they find more drawn towards than nurse bees.
Or what draws them into a drone cell. It is hard to imagine they can measure it so what is it about the drone larvae that allows the varroa to recognize it and prefer it over a worker larvae?

Squished drone larvae traps LOL.

Or what draws them into a drone cell. It is hard to imagine they can measure it so what is it about the drone larvae that allows the varroa to recognize it and prefer it over a worker larvae?

I believe that's a pheromone thing. I'm sure I recall reading somewhere that drone larvae produce a different pattern of pheromones from workers.

James

Latest posts

Back