Varroa Eggs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Sliced off the bottom section on my drone frame this afternoon, and opened up some of the cells, very dissapointed to see the little red gits in some of them.

I also spotted young white varroa in the cells along with a little pile of what looked like varroa eggs (i assume), piled up on the base.

In this hive the population must have exploded recently as i try to keep tabs on their count, but was horrified to see so many eggs in each cell, its the first time i have seen evidence of how rapidly they can expand their numbers.

Very glad i cut them out, there must have been thousands. i removed about 90% of the drone brood and treated with Hiveclean, put a board in to see what falls in the next 24hrs.

Can I ask what the results of hiveclean are ?? Are they good ? (sorry im assuming youve used it before)
Isn’t this basically the same as sugar dusting ?? Or does it provide a much higher yield of varroa eradication ?

Last edited:
I used Hiveclean on an 11 frame swarm I collected. Very little drop - either not working or very clean colony. I will check drone cells asap.

I use Hiveclean everytime I check my hives. I`ve got the sticky sheets in for a mite count at the moment so I`ll let you know how I get on.

Darren.

The pile of varroa eggs was probably a pile of varroa pooh :).
No bull pooh :svengo:.

John Wilkinson

Quoted from their website:
"It is a certified organic product and can be applied all year round and even during honey harvesting."Darren

The importers claim that but when I looked at the manufacturer's data sheet (some time ago now) it suggested that you can't use it during a flow. I don't know what the truth is but I would have thought that the oxalic acid in it would limit its use to a period without a flow.

Dil

Here is a little something to help us to remember the life cycle of the varroa mite.

Regards;

Latest posts

Back