Varroa drop v Apiguard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Perhaps a word to the wise. We have had very small incidence of mite dropbut use Autumn Apiguard treatment and vaporise at New Year. We recently received a Nuc and looked at free fall of Varroa to board – Little enough day fall rate at approx. 3. On Sunday put on Apiguard and a relative snowfall of mites ensued - haven’t counted as replaced board for 5-7 days. Suggestion - be careful of accepting free fall incidence and not treat this autumn.

I don't use apiguard.

If the mite drop is minimal over the first couple of days of thymol treatment, I use that informationn to determine my next move - either removal of the treatment (as not required) or increase the dose (as it is not sufficiently effective - either because the temps are too low or the box is too big). Requires judgement on my part, but I am confident of what I am doing and would not advise it for the average new beek or perhaps even the average beek. This holds for thymol treatments at any time of the year.

I've not found it necessary to use oxalic in the new year for the last approx 6 or 7 seasons.

Mite drop is not the only indicator, just one of several - each needing simple observations on the part of the beekeeper.

RAB

I have my 500g of thymol and will be giving it a go on a couple of hives but most I will use the Apiguard until I'm confident at judging the correct measurements. As they say on telly, one **** does plenty. :nono:

"I will use the Apiguard until I'm confident at judging the correct measurements. "

cheap set of scales off the web. follow the recipe. really simple to make and use.

OP - remember you're talking a nuc not a full hive. double up the drop and beebase calculator suggests treating in a month.

Latest posts

Back