Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Bumble Bee Slim 

New Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Could anyone please tell me the shelf life of these strips please and once opened how long are they still effective for?

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Could anyone please tell me the shelf life of these strips please and once opened how long are they still effective for?
There's no shelf life and no indication of effectiveness. They are cheap enough to open, use and throw away. You might try re- vacuum packing and putting in the freezer?

Curly green finger's 

Apiculturist to the bones!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 50
Hi Etton,
Used just OA strips last year, added to colonies pre Spring build up, they are either gone or removed before supering. OA strips added in Autumn and no follow up mid Winter treatment.
My friend did likewise but did do OA trickle in December. He had better mite drops than his usual MAQS treatment and is doing the same this year.
No need to remove the strips, most of mine were chewed away and anything left can be removed in Spring.
I will remove mine when I remove the apivar.

W0otz 

New Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Would it be worth putting a strip, or piece of strip, just inside the entrance block as a doormat? High traffic area should increase effectiveness and any mites brought back to the colony would be exposed immediately.

Latest posts