Varroa control with lemon juice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
http://www.saudibi.com/files/image/pdf/conT6/100.doc

Evaluation of lemon juice for controlling Varroa destructor in honeybee colonies
By
M.F. Abdel-Rahman1 and S.H. Rateb2
1- Plant Protection Research Institute, Agricultural Research Center, Dokki, Giza, Egypt.
E-mail: [email protected]

2- Plant Protection Department, Faculty of Agriculture, Assiut University, Assiut, Egypt.
Abstract
The present investigation was carried out in the apiary at Al-Fath location, Assiut Governorate, Upper Egypt, from 8th of December, 2007 to 3rd of January, 2008.

The aim of this study was to determine the effectiveness of lemon juice on varroa mites, Varroa destructor (Anderson and Trueman) in honeybee colonies, Apis mellifera L. with little brood in order to reduce varroa population to tolerable levels.

Five concentrations (10%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%) of lemon juice (v/v) with sugar syrup 1:1 (w/v) were applied against varroa mites on adult workers honeybee.

Five applications of tested concentrations were made to each colony during the treatment period. The percentage of varroa infestation on adult workers, number of fallen dead mites, number of dead bees and the reduction percentage of varroa infestation were determined in the tested colonies.

10% lemonjuice mites dead 33%

25% ..."............................41%

50% .................................83%

75% ................................84%

100% ...............................87%

The possible use of lemon juice against varroa mite in honeybee colonies as an alternative to routine chemical treatments is discussed. The application of these strategies enables beekeepers to keep the varroa infestation below the damage threshold with reasonable additional labor and, at the same time, it assures high quality bee products.

Finman opinion:

If we look the method, spraying mere lemon juice on bees will kill 87% of mites on bees.

When we compare with oxalic acid spraying ( 3% OA in water), it kills 97% of mites.

What does it mean?

if we have 1000 mites in the hive, 87% means that 130 will be alive

When dead rate is 97%, alive mites will be 30. So with lemon juice it is about 4 times more. If we look at swarm handling, mites douples in one month and after 2 months mites are in lemon juice hive 520 and in OA hive 120 mites.

One month more and lemon hive has critical number of mites 1000.
OA hive has 240.

Hell yes, if this works I'm planting lemon bushes in the green houses and what we don't use on the bees, it's LEMON AID all summer long....:)

Brian

Finman,

So, if we were to use 'concentrated' lemon juice (water reduced real thing) we could get to 97%? Need about a further third of the water removed, or just add some more citric acid?

Seems it may be expensive compared to oxalic. But in places with lemon groves a good alternative to oxalic.

The single flaw to me seems to be the location - not sure if the bees would be broodless, or not. So results might not be so easily transferrable to the UK or Finland.

Certainly could be investigated just after Shrove Tuesday, if all the 'jiff' lemon juice is not used on the pancakes!

Regards, RAB

I am not going to quess nothing about lemon juice and citric acid. I just put this reasearch into forum.

All these organic acids have been sieved with reseaching in European varroa group and they recommend oxalic acid, formic acid and thymol in the year of mercy 2011

Lemonjuice acidity is on average 2,5 ( 2,3 to 4,0 pH)

Finman opinion:

If we look the method, spraying mere lemon juice on bees will kill 87% of mites on bees.

When we compare with oxalic acid spraying ( 3% OA in water), it kills 97% of mites.

What does it mean?

if we have 1000 mites in the hive, 87% means that 130 will be alive

When dead rate is 97%, alive mites will be 30. So with lemon juice it is about 4 times more. If we look at swarm handling, mites douples in one month and after 2 months mites are in lemon juice hive 520 and in OA hive 120 mites.

One month more and lemon hive has critical number of mites 1000.
OA hive has 240.

Hi!
I have some experience with the use of lemon juice in the fight against varroa. In my opinion the effectiveness of the treatment of winter is above 90% (amitraz fumigation confirmed two weeks later).The advantage of the oxalic acid lies in the fact that lemon juice is safe for bees used repeatedly throughout the season.Interesting is how does lemon juice + sugar solution to Varroa. In my opinion only a small proportion of dead Varroa is a direct toxic effect of citric acid. Most drop Varroa as a result of groom bees themself.
best regards
Dominik from Poland

Very interesting stuff. Was there any mention about harm to the bees - certainly if you spray lemon juice into a human's eyes they wont thank you for it!

I'm told crushed wild garlic leaves are effective too.

Where is Finman these days?

I'm told crushed wild garlic leaves are effective too.

Where is Finman these days?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Lift up thine eyes unto the top post!
:):)

If you use lemon juice + sugar as Varroa control in an Omlet Beehaus, will you end up with some sort of varroa pancake? :puke: :smilielol5:

honey and lemon... add a bit of thymol and you have a ready made flu remedy

Back to the thread. I hope everyone read the report carefully. It was easily missed that each set of colonies was treated 5 times in the test period (yes they emphasised the 5 different strengths, but almost hid the '5 treatments within the test period'. Slightly different than one dose of oxalic doing a better job.

Never mind, perhaps I was too picky, mentioning that. It might be OK for upper Egypt in December, but certainly not in the UK! Rest of the year might be different, but citric acid may be the only active component.

RAB

So the question is that if this is an alternative to what is out there how do we brew up this solution and is it applied in a similar fashion to OA

Back to the thread. I hope everyone read the report carefully. It was easily missed that each set of colonies was treated 5 times in the test period (yes they emphasised the 5 different strengths, but almost hid the '5 treatments within the test period'. Slightly different than one dose of oxalic doing a better job.

Never mind, perhaps I was too picky, mentioning that. It might be OK for upper Egypt in December, but certainly not in the UK! Rest of the year might be different, but citric acid may be the only active component.

RAB

Hi!
This is very interesting report from Italy (use google translator):

RELAZIONE DEL 1° MARZO 2011 E AGGIORNAMENTO DEL 21 MAGGIO 2011

APICOLTURA

°°°°°°°°°°

Nuove iniziative nella lotta a “varroa destructor”

Non molti, anche tra la massa di estranei al mondo dell’apicoltura, ignorano oggi le allarmanti notizie che riferiscono del permanere ed anzi del diffondersi e dell’aggravarsi del fenomeno della mortalità delle api che si riscontra in quasi tutte le aree del mondo, con percentuali anche altissime di perdita delle colonie.
Sollecitata dalle organizzazioni degli apicoltori , che si sono attivati nello spirito della strategia per la salute degli animali adottata nel 2007 dalla UE per il periodo 2007-2013, anche la Commissione Europea si è mossa ed ha posto allo studio il problema, focalizzandolo in tutti i suoi aspetti.
I risultati dell’approfondita indagine sono stati oggetto di una dettagliata “Comunicazione” che la stessa Commissione ha presentato al Parlamento Europeo.
Quello che colpisce particolarmente in detta Comunicazione è l’affermazione che si legge all’inizio del Capitolo III intitolato “FATTORI CHE INCIDONO SULLA SALUTE DELLE API” , affermazione che viene posta a presupposto di partenza di tutta l’indagine e che così recita:
“…omissis….l’aumento della mortalità delle api….omissis……ha sollevato grande preoccupazione in tutto il mondo, MA GLI STUDI SCIENTIFICI NON SONO STATI IN GRADO DI DETERMINARE NE’ LE CAUSE PRECISE, NE’ LA PORTATA DI QUESTO INCREMENTO DI MORTALITA’.
Un’affermazione simile, per di più autorevolmente pronunciata da un organismo di così alto livello, è tanto stupefacente quanto sconfortante perché è la constatazione di un vero e proprio “fallimento” della ricerca scientifica in questo importante settore, ricerca che, con non trascurabile apparato, ha anche assorbito rilevanti risorse finanziarie (la montagna non ha partorito neppure un topolino!).
Questo dato di fatto, conclamato, dovrebbe indurre i responsabili ad una doverosa riflessione e l’argomento meriterebbe di essere affrontato urgentemente ed approfonditamente nelle sedi opportune; uno spunto per questa riflessione potrebbe essere colto dalla situazione di partenza, quando furono avviati gli studi e le ricerche che fin dall’inizio furono concentrate sull’acaro “Jacobsoni”. Circa 20 anni dopo che la varroa aveva invaso l’Europa, un ricercatore australiano fece notare che non si trattava dell’acaro “Jacobsoni” (che non arreca danni all’alveare), ma che ci trovavamo di fronte all’aggressiva VARROA DESTRUCTOR,; è nostra convinzione che i risultati deludenti della ricerca trovino ragione proprio in questa basilare differenza che è probabile sia sfuggita alle valutazioni propedeutiche ai programmi di studio o che, comunque, non sia stata soppesata sufficientemente.
Nel nostro quasi quotidiano rapporto con le api constatiamo direttamente questa preoccupante situazione e vediamo quanto pesi in questa emergenza, tra tutti gli altri fattori, il diffondersi dell’acaro “varroa destructor”, divenuto un problema drammatico per la sua imponenza; quindi, con lo spirito d’impegno che contraddistingue chiunque abbia a che fare, con seria e corretta intenzione, con l’affascinante mondo delle api, abbiamo sentito vivo e alimentato dall’esperienza pratica accumulata in tanti anni di osservazione di quel mondo, il desiderio di poterlo tutelare attraverso la ricerca di nuove strade, di nuovi metodi di lotta contro questo acaro tanto misconosciuto (per molti aspetti), quanto letale.
Ci siamo proposti, innanzitutto, di scartare senza indugi tutte le “profilassi” suggerite dalla suddetta ricerca e che sono state finora propinate, talvolta inopinatamente e con scarso criterio, alle colonie; e questo anche- e forse soprattutto - in considerazione che i prodotti da tempo “in voga”, oltre al fatto di aver via via perduto di efficacia, hanno però mantenuto inalterata la loro deleteria proprietà di inquinamento dell’alveare e dei suoi prodotti.
Con questa convinzione si è riflettuto sulla possibilità di utilizzare componenti di sostanze presenti in natura che potessero svolgere un’azione di contrasto letale o comunque quanto più possibile inibitoria a danno del ciclo biologico dell’acaro o almeno di contenimento di questo flagello.
E’ venuto così costituendosi, intorno ad un’idea inizialmente concepita da alcuni, un gruppo di “volenterosi sperimentatori” che si è man mano incrementato per concatenazione di rapporti di amicizia e di confidenza.
L’idea su cui è basato l’avvio della sperimentazione che stiamo conducendo, riguarda l’uso, con appositi preparati, dell’ACIDO CITRICO che, una volta assunto dall’ape ed entrato in circolo, appare letale per la varroa che si nutre dell’emolinfa che lo contiene.
L’esperimento è iniziato con la fine di Settembre 2010 e viene tuttora portato avanti con formulazioni diverse:

QUANTO A PREPARATI
- succo di limone diluito in sciroppo (acqua + zucchero in proporzione 1:1), gocciolato a volontà sui portafavi del nido e direttamente sulle api; il trattamento può essere ripetuto anche due o tre volte nella stessa giornata;
- zucchero a velo con acido citrico in polvere , spolverato (anche questo “a volontà”) sempre sui portafavi del nido e direttamente sulle api e/o introdotto sul pavimento dell’arnia su apposito fondo di compensato.

QUANTO A CONCENTRAZIONE DI ACIDO CITRICO NEI PREPARATI
Si è iniziato con basse concentrazioni a 3 o 5 per mille, salendo poi gradualmente al 10, 15 ed anche 30 per mille.
Per fornire qualche dato che dia un’idea dell’azione svolta e dei risultati registrati, riportiamo in sintesi quanto osservato in 5 mesi di trattamenti in uno degli alveari di una nostra “postazione” sul Monte Argentario, Provincia di Grosseto (Italy)

PERIODO DURATA IN GIORNI CONCENTRAZIONI DI A.C. N.VARROE CADUTE MEDIA CADUTE AL GIORNO
29/9/2010
16/11/2010 47 3-5 per mille 1020 22
17/11/2010
5/2/2011 80 10-15 per mille 2270 28
6/2/2011
28/2/2011 22 30 per mille 460 21
Totale varroe cadute nel periodo 3750

NOTA
Sospeso il trattamento con acido citrico, il 26/10 è stato fatto un trattamento con acido ossalico; nei successivi sette giorni sono state contate circa 950 varroe “abbattute” (pari ad una media di 134 cadute al giorno) che, aggiunte a quelle eliminate dall’acido citrico, elevano il conteggio a ben 4700 acari morti nel periodo di 5 mesi.
CONSIDERAZIONI ED ANNOTAZIONI SU QUESTI PRIMI DATI
- Non sembra, allo stato, che sia strettamente determinante per l’efficacia la maggiore o minore concentrazione di acido citrico;
- Nessuna delle concentrazioni usate ha provocato danno alle api;
- Tra gli acari caduti è stato notato quasi costantemente un misto di varroe adulte (scure), di varroe più giovani (chiare) e varroe giovanissime (bianche e bianchissime) e tra queste anche acari molto piccoli).
- Terminato l’effetto dell’acido ossalico e ripresa, 7 giorni dopo, la somministrazione di acido citrico, le cadute giornaliere sono continuate allo stesso ritmo di prima!
- Alcune volte, nel periodo, tra un trattamento e l’altro sono intercorsi anche molti giorni, ma gli acari hanno continuato a cadere, circa nella stessa misura media giornaliera, anche in questi intervalli.
- La somministrazione dei preparati con acido citrico ha richiesto finora un impegno quasi giornaliero; quindi, allo scopo di alleggerire quest’impegno, riteniamo che sia utile anche sperimentare una distribuzione tramite i nutritori ovvero, là dove ne sia invalso l’uso, con i canditi. Siamo convinti, infatti, che utilizzare questo prodotto ogni volta che ne abbiamo la possibilità ed anche quando si devono integrare le scorte della colonia, potrebbe consentirci:
a) di raggiungere più agevolmente l’obbiettivo di far assumere acido citrico al maggior numero di api possibile;
b) di tenere, così, sotto controllo, insieme all’acaro, anche le vecchie e nuove patologie che sappiamo dallo stesso veicolate.

NOTA
Nell’esaminare i dati suesposti va tenuto conto, che – godendo la zona del Monte Argentario di un microclima che l’avvicina più alle regioni del sud Italia - durante tutto il periodo sperimentale, nell’alveare preso ad esempio non si è mai verificata assenza di covata; ad es., il giorno del trattamento con acido ossalico (26/10) nell’alveare abbiamo constatato la presenza di covata compatta e opercolata su 3 telaini e di covata nuova su 1 telaino. La presenza di covata, sia pure un po’ ridotta, continua tuttora e già dà segni di crescita primaverile.
Per completezza di informazione aggiungiamo che, oltre che con l’acido citrico, gli alveari sono stati trattati, saltuariamente, con polvere di aglio + zucchero nella proporzione di 1:1 in volume e/o con aceto di vino + zucchero nella stessa proporzione di 1:1 però in peso.

INTERROGATIVI
-Quale accorgimento adottare (oltre all’utilizzo dei nutritori e/ dei canditi) per essere certi che l’acido citrico sia assunto da tutte o comunque dalla quasi totalità delle api?
-Come interagisce l’acido citrico con la struttura fisio-chimica della varroa? E’ plausibile che agisca come “sistemico”?
-Per quanti giorni dal trattamento l’acido citrico continua a svolgere il suo effetto letale sulla varroa?
-Quante varroe c’erano all’inizio e quante ce ne sono ora nell’alveare?
-Perché, dopo questo non breve periodo di trattamento, nonostante la caduta complessiva di ben 4700 acari ne continua ancora lo stillicidio?
-Quelle che cadono in un giorno, perché non sono cadute con i trattamenti precedenti? Perché non cadono tutte insieme? Sono troppo blande le concentrazioni usate finora?
-Dove si trovano gli acari che non risentono subito del trattamento?
-Sono ipotesi plausibili:
a) che la varroa abbia un ciclo biologico più lungo di quanto creduto finora e che la sua vita sia caratterizzata da periodi di riposo, da lunghi intervalli tra una deposizione e l’altra?
b) che, perciò, in questi intervalli, il suo ciclo vitale sia rallentato e non abbia bisogno di nutrirsi se non raramente?
c) che quindi, in questi periodi di riposo, trovi rifugio sotto i tergiti e/o gli sterniti che sono le uniche parti del corpo dell’ape dove sta più protetta?
NOTA
Quest’ultima ipotesi (che per noi è quasi una certezza) spiegherebbe il perché nella colonia restano sempre troppe varroe nonostante i numerosi interventi operati dall’uomo per cercare di ridurre al minimo l’infestazione con l’uso di una molteplicità di sostanze e prodotti molto differenziati fra loro anche per composizione chimica di sintesi e/o pseudo-naturale.

QUALCHE CONFERMA
Nel corso dell’esperimento abbiamo appreso, da un sito internet, che analoga iniziativa è stata messa in atto per brevissimo periodo da ricercatori dell’Alto Egitto; i risultati pubblicati confermano, a grandi linee, i dati che abbiamo registrato noi; l’unica difformità sta nel fatto che loro avrebbero constatato che con l’uso delle concentrazioni di a.c. al 20, 25 e 30 per mille rispetto alle concentrazioni al 5 ed al 10 per mille si ha una concreta maggiore efficacia, incremento che invece noi non abbiamo registrato finora. Riteniamo importante evidenziare che anche gli sperimentatori egiziani hanno constatato che nessuna delle concentrazioni di a.c. da loro usate ha recato danni alle api; ne è prova il fatto che la moria registrata nelle arnie trattate è stata addirittura inferiore, in media, a quella riscontrata nelle arnie non trattate.
Comunque, forse anche in ragione del fatto che l’esperimento è durato molto poco (26 giorni), la relazione presenta conclusioni tutt’altro che certe e definitive per cui rimangono aperti tutti gli interrogativi che sopra ci siamo posti.

CONCLUSIONE
Anche noi non possiamo, per ora, giungere a conclusioni certe e definitive perché non sappiamo quanto tempo ci vorrà ancora per rispondere a tutti gli interrogativi suscitati dall’esperienza pratica che stiamo conducendo. Tuttavia, ad oggi, riteniamo di poter senz’altro esprimere la nostra piena soddisfazione per i risultati fin qui ottenuti perchè negli anni precedenti, in questo periodo, abbiamo sempre assistito, impotenti, al collasso di molti alveari e/o all’indebolimento di molte colonie mentre in questi giorni, a seguito dei trattamenti fatti con l’acido citrico, non solo non dobbiamo registrare né perdite né indebolimenti, ma constatiamo con gioia che le colonie con cui ci stiamo avvicinando alla imminente primavera, sono in splendida forma e promettono un altrettanto splendido svolgersi della loro preziosa attività.
Riteniamo che questo importante dato di fatto, concreto ed incontrovertibile, ci autorizzi a coltivare la speranza (molto più che vaga) che non sia lontano il giorno in cui potremo dire di aver del tutto sconfitto il terribile parassita.

Pariana, 1° marzo 2011
Francesco Mussi Luciano Crocini

AGGIORNAMENTO

Dal 1° Marzo abbiamo proseguito nella nostra iniziativa e, sulla base dell’ulteriore esperienza acquisita, riteniamo utile integrare ed allargare il quadro delle prime osservazioni con alcune altre considerazioni e valutazioni.
Ci sembra, infatti, che i dati numerici registrati in questa seconda fase, insieme all’osservazione dell’andamento dell’attività delle colonie, rivestano interesse per il fine che ci siamo proposti e possano fornire elementi ed informazioni utili per la ricerca di soddisfacenti risposte agli interrogativi rimasti in sospeso.
Per chiarezza di esposizione riprendiamo ed integriamo il prospetto dei dati relativi all’arnia “pilota” del Monte Argentario, Provincia di Grosseto (Italy):
PERIODO DURATA IN GIORNI CONCENTRAZIONI DI A.C. N.VARROE CADUTE MEDIA CADUTE AL GIORNO
29/9/2010
16/11/2010 47 3-5 per mille 1020 22
17/11/2010
5/2/2011 80 10-15 per mille 2270 28
6/2/2011
28/2/2011 22 30 per mille 460 21
Totale varroe cadute nel periodo 3750
1/3/2011
30/4/2011 61 ============ 7030 115
Totale varroe cadute in 7 mesi 10780

Un attento confronto fra le quantità di acari caduti , in rapporto al calendario, mette in chiara evidenza che:
- nel periodo di Marzo/Aprile il loro numero è quasi il doppio di quello registrato nei 5 mesi precedenti;

- la media giornaliera di cadute si è praticamente sestuplicata;

- il notevole incremento coincide con il periodo di ripresa e di rapida crescita della covata.
E tutto questo appare ancor più interessante se consideriamo che:
- dall’inizio dell’esperimento e fino al 6/2/2011 (131 giorni) i trattamenti con succo di limone sono stati quasi giornalieri e spesso ripetuti due volte nella stessa giornata;

- dal 6/2 in poi, invece, l’arnia in esame (così come tutte le altre) non ha più ricevuto alcun trattamento, né con il succo di limone, né, ovviamente, con qualsivoglia altra sostanza.
Per completezza di informazione precisiamo che:
- è confermato che in ogni periodico conteggio sono stati notati acari di varie colorazioni e sfumature (dal marrone scuro al marrone chiaro e chiarissimo, al bianco ed al candido) nonché di dimensioni diverse (dal normale per le varroe scure al piccolissimo per quelle candide e anche con dimensioni intermedie fra queste);
- nel quadro descritto rientrano anche le altre arnie che hanno ricevuto lo stesso trattamento, con la differenza che in 2 di esse stiamo registrando nei primi giorni di Maggio una drastica riduzione delle cadute pur in presenza di covata estesa e compatta distribuita su 6, 7 ed anche 8 telaini;

- tutte le colonie in osservazione continuano ad essere in splendida forma e stanno svolgendo un’attività molto intensa ed altamente produttiva.

- Infatti a tutt’oggi, durante ogni fase del trattamento protrattosi per oltre 7 mesi, non abbiamo mai notato danni apparenti alle api; riteniamo però che non si debba abbassare il livello di attenzione perché ancora resta da accertare con sicurezza che, nel lungo periodo, il prodotto “acido citrico” non possa in qualche modo risultare nocivo per il “super organismo” colonia.

0 0
Presupposto dell’esperimento che stiamo conducendo è stata la convinzione che l’acido citrico avrebbe abbassato notevolmente il PH tanto all’interno dell’alveare quanto nell’emolinfa dell’ape e che di conseguenza avrebbe potuto danneggiare l’acaro per ingestione, con una concreta, maggiore efficacia rispetto agli altri prodotti utilizzati abitualmente la cui azione si svolge “per contatto”.
I risultati esposti ci sembra abbiano consolidato questa ipotesi e siamo convinti che ci orientino verso una deduzione logico-pratica-funzionale che così articoliamo:
- l’ape regina viene nutrita sempre con pappa reale (sostanza molto acida) e si ritiene che sia per questo che essa non viene parassitata dalla varroa;

- il ciclo biologico dell’ape operaia è di circa 21 giorni così ripartiti:
. 3 giorni per la schiusa dell’uovo;
. 3 giorni di nutrimento con pappa reale;
. 3 giorni di nutrimento con un composto di nettare, polline e forse ancora una piccola dose di
pappa reale, fino all’opercolatura;
. 12 giorni nella cella opercolata per la formazione dell’insetto adulto pronto a sfarfallare;

- dal 4° al 6° giorno, quindi, la larva dell’ape operaia mantiene nell’emolinfa una elevata acidità; fra il 7° ed il 9° giorno, essendo mutata la composizione del nutrimento, tale acidità diminuisce gradatamente;

- com’è noto, proprio in questa fase di calo dell’acidità e più precisamente tra la fine dell’8° e durante il 9° giorno, la varroa, captando il feromone emesso dalla larva giunta a quello stadio di sviluppo, “sente” giunto il momento favorevole per penetrare nella cella prima dell’opercolatura;

- stessa cosa per i fuchi, con l’osservazione che la varroa predilige queste larve essenzialmente per due ragioni:
a) il ciclo larvale maschile si prolunga fino al 10° giorno prima dell’opercolatura per cui la varroa dispone di un giorno in più per penetrare nella cella e per di più trova una larva ancor meno acida di quella delle api operaie per aver ricevuto il composto nutrizionale diverso dalla pappa reale per 4 giorni anziché per 3;
b) di preferenza le colonie posizionano le celle maschili nelle zone più periferiche dei favi che per la varroa sono più gradite perchè meno calde.

CONCLUSIONE
Se le cose stanno così, riteniamo che la conclusione sia una sola: occorrerà cercare e mettere a punto un sistema di somministrazione dell’acido citrico che assicuri una diffusione nella colonia , la più ampia possibile.
Siamo infatti convinti che raggiungendo il massimo livello di diffusione dell’acido anche il nutrimento che le api forniscono alle larve tra l’8° ed il 9° giorno (9° e 10° per i fuchi) può mantenere nell’emolinfa larvale un tasso di acidità tale da mettere in seria difficoltà l’acaro e ci domandiamo:
E’ plausibilmente ipotizzabile che negli ultimi giorni del suo ciclo biologico ogni larva, nutrita con un composto più acido, emetta un feromone diverso e, quindi, non riconoscibile dalla varroa??
Pariana, 12 maggio 2011

Francesco Mussi Luciano Crocini

For those struggling with the translation, it looks like this (unfortunately doesn't include Google punctuation)

1 March 2011 REPORT AND UPDATE May 21, 2011 BEEKEEPING °°°°°°°°°° New initiatives in the fight to "Varroa destructor" Not many, even among the mass of strangers in the world of beekeeping, now ignore the alarming news that relates the persistence and even aggravation of the phenomenon of spread and mortality of bees is found in almost all areas of the world, even with very high percentages loss of the colonies. Prompted by organizations of beekeepers, and they set out in the spirit of the animal health strategy adopted in 2007 by the EU for the period 2007-2013, the European Commission has moved and placed to study the problem , focusing in all its aspects. The results of the deepening investigation are the subject of a detailed "Communication" which the Commission submitted to the European Parliament. What is particularly striking in that Communication is the claim that the law is beginning Chapter III entitled "FACTORS AFFECTING THE HEALTH OF BEES" statement that is placed in the correct starting point of the entire investigation and that states: "... omission .... the increased mortality of bees .... ... ... has omitted raised great concern around the world, BUT THE SCIENTIFIC STUDIES HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO DETERMINE OR 'exact causes, N' THE SCOPE OF THIS INCREASE OF MORTALITY. ' A similar statement for more authoritatively pronounced by a body such a high level, because it is so amazing how disheartening is the finding of a true "failure" of scientific research in this important field research, with considerable apparatus, has also absorbed significant financial resources (the mountain has given birth to even a mouse!). This fact, overt, would make those responsible for a necessary reflection and argument deserves to be addressed urgently and in the appropriate depth, a starting point for this reflection may be caught by the situation, when they were launched studies and research were focused from the beginning sull'acaro "Jacobsoni". Nearly 20 years after the varroa had invaded Europe, an Australian researcher pointed out that this was not the mite "Jacobsoni" (which does not cause damage to the hive), but we were up against the aggressive Varroa destructor, it is our belief that the disappointing results of the research find reason in this very basic difference is likely to be missed assessments preparatory programs of study or who, however, has not been sufficiently weighed. In our almost daily contact with the bees we see directly this worrying situation and we see how much weight in this emergency, including all other factors, the spread of the mite "Varroa destructor", has become a serious problem for its grandeur, so with the spirit of commitment that characterizes anyone who has do, with appropriate and correct intention, with the fascinating world of bees, we felt alive and fed the practical experience accumulated over many years of observation of that world, the desire to be able to protect through the search for new roads, new methods combating this mite as misunderstood (in many ways), but lethal. We have proposed, first, to rule without delay all the "prophylactic" suggested by this research and that have so far been served up, sometimes unexpectedly and with little criterion, the colonies, and this also-and perhaps especially - given that the products for some time "in vogue" in addition to having gradually lost its effectiveness, however, have maintained the property of their harmful contamination of the hive and its products . This belief is reflected on the possibility of using components of naturally occurring substances that could take action to combat life-threatening or as much as possible, however, inhibitory to the detriment of the biological cycle of the mite, or at least containment of this scourge. E ' come thus constituted around an idea originally conceived by some, a group of "investigators willing" that has gradually increased to a concatenation of relations of friendship and confidence. The idea is based on which the start of experimentation we are conducting, on use, with proper preparation, citric acid, once hired and the EPA entered into a circle, is lethal to the mite that feeds dell'emolinfa that contains it. The experiment began with the end of September 2010 and is still carried out with different formulations: PREPARED AS A - diluted lemon juice into syrup (sugar + water 1:1), dripped on the portfolio of the nest at will and directly on the bees and the treatment may be repeated two or three times in one day; - icing sugar with citric acid powder, dusting (this "at will") on portfolios of the nest and more directly on bees and / or introduced on the floor of the beehive on the appropriate compensation fund. AS A CONCENTRATION OF CITRIC ACID IN PREPARATIONS It began with low concentrations at 3 or 5 per thousand, rising gradually to 10, 15 and even 30 per thousand. To provide some data that gives an idea of performed and the results recorded, summarized in what has been observed in 5 months of treatment in one of the beehives of our "seat" on the Monte Argentario, Grosseto Province (Italy) TIME PERIOD IN DAYS OF MERGERS ACNVARROE FALLS FALLS MEDIA DAY 29 / 9 / 2010 11/16/2010 5.3 per thousand in 1020 47 22 17/11/2010 80 05/02/2011 28 10 to 15 per thousand in 2270 06/02/2011 28/02/2011 460 21 22 30 per thousand Total mite drop in the period 3750 NOTE Suspended treatment with citric acid, 26/10 has been treated with oxalic acid, in the next seven days were counted about 950 varroa "demolished" (amounting to an average of 134 drops a day ) which, added to those removed from citric acid, to raise the count dead mites in 4700 well over 5 months. CONSIDERATIONS AND COMMENTS ON THESE FIRST DATA - does not seem, at present, it is critical to the effectiveness strictly greater or lower concentration of citric acid - None of the concentrations used caused damage to bees - Among the fallen mites was noticed almost always a mixture of adult varroa (darkness), the youngest of varroa (clear) and varroa young (white and white) and also between these tiny mites). - After the effect of oxalic acid and recovery, after 7 days, the administration of citric acid, the falls have continued daily at the same rate as before! - Sometimes, in the period , between treatments are also many days elapsed, but the mites have continued to fall, about the same extent as daily average, even in these intervals. - The administration of citric acid, prepared with a commitment so far has required almost daily, so in order to alleviate this challenge, we believe it is useful to experiment through a distribution feeders or, where it has been the custom, with candied fruit. We are convinced that use this product whenever we can and even when necessary to supplement the stocks of the colony, could allow: a) to better achieve the goal of citric acid have employed as many bees as possible ; b) keep well under control, coupled with mite, even the old and new diseases that we know from the same vehicle. NOTE examining the data above should be taken into account, that - the area enjoying a microclimate of Monte Argentario that comes closest to the southern regions of Italy - throughout the experimental period, the hive as an example has never verified the absence of brood, eg. the day of treatment with oxalic acid (26/10) in ' hive we found the presence of capped brood and compact 3 new frames of brood and 1 box of silkworm eggs. The presence of brood, albeit a little 'small, still continues and already shows signs of spring growth. For the sake of completeness we add that, as well as citric acid, the hives were treated intermittently with garlic powder + sugar in the proportion of 1:1 by volume and / or wine vinegar + sugar in the same proportion of 1:1 by weight, however. QUESTIONS What trick-take (besides the use of feeders and / candied fruit) to make sure that Citric acid is taken by all or at least almost all the bees? How-citric acid interacts with the structure of the physio-chemical Varroa? And 'likely to act as a "systemic"? -How many days from the citric acid treatment continues to do its lethal effect on varroa? How-varroa were at the beginning and how many there are now in the hive? - Why, after this long period of treatment, despite the overall fall of 4700 mites well it continues dripping? -Those who fall in one day, why not have fallen with the previous treatments? Why do not all fall together? I'm too bland concentrations used so far? -Where are the mites that are not affected by treatment immediately? -guesses are: a) that the Varroa has a longer life cycle than previously thought and that his life is characterized by periods rest, with long intervals between deposition and the other? b) that, therefore, in these ranges, its life cycle is slowed down and did not need to eat only rarely? c) thus, in these rest periods, find shelter under the tergites and / or sternites which are the only parts of the body where the bee is more secure? NOTE latter hypothesis (which for us is almost a certainty) would explain why varroa in the colony are always too much despite the numerous man-made interventions to try to minimize the infestation with the use of a variety of substances and products which are very different to each other for the chemical composition of synthesis and / or pseudo-natural. CONFIRMS SOME During the experiment we have learned, from a website, that a similar initiative has been put in place for a short period by researchers in Upper Egypt, the published results confirm, in broad terms, the data that we recorded ourselves, the only discrepancy is that they would have found that with the use of concentrations of BC to 20, 25 and 30 per thousand compared to concentrations 5 to 10 per thousand and you have a concrete more efficiently, increase instead we have recorded so far. We also important to note that Egyptian investigators have found that none of the concentrations of BC they used has brought damage to bees, as evidenced by the fact that the die-off recorded in the treated hives was even lower, on average, to that found in the hives untreated. However, perhaps due to the fact that the experiment lasted very little (26 days), the report presents conclusions and final far from certain that stay open all the above questions we have posed. CONCLUSION Even we can not, for now, to come to firm conclusions and the final because we do not know how long it will take to answer all the questions raised by the practical experience that we are conducting. However, to date, we believe we can certainly express our full satisfaction with the results achieved in previous years because, at this time, we always watched, helplessly, to the collapse of many hives and / or weakening of many colonies and these days, as a result of the treatments made ​​with citric acid, not only must register or loss or weakening, but we note that the settlements with joy with which we are approaching the upcoming spring, are in wonderful shape and a promise equally beautiful place their valuable assets. We believe that this important fact, concrete and incontrovertible authorize us to have hope (much more than vague) that's not far the day when we can say we have completely defeated the terrible parasite . Pariana, March 1, 2011 Francesco Mussi Luciano Marks UPDATE From March 1, we continued our initiative and, on the basis of further experience, we want to integrate and broaden the framework of the first observations with some other considerations and evaluations. There seems In fact, that the figures reported in this second phase, together with the observation of the TREND of the colonies, have a bearing on the end that we proposed and can provide useful insights and information for finding satisfactory answers to the questions outstanding. For clarity of exposition we take and integrate data on the prospect of arnica "pilot" of Monte Argentario, Grosseto Province (Italy): TIME PERIOD IN DAYS OF MERGERS ACNVARROE FALLS FALLS MEDIA DAY 29/9/2010 3.5 per thousand in 1020 11/16/2010 47 22 11/17/2010 05/02/2011 80 10-15 28 per thousand in 2270 02/06/2011 02/28/2011 460 21 22 30 per thousand total mite fall in the period 3750 03/01/2011 30/04/2011 7030 61 115 ============ Total mite drop in 7 months 10780 A careful comparison between the amount of dead mites in relation to the calendar, clearly highlights that: - during the March / April this number is almost double that recorded in the previous five months, - the average daily number of falls was almost six-fold increase; - the significant increase coincides with the period of recovery and fast-growing brood. And all this is even more interesting if we consider that: - the start of the experiment and up to 06.02.2011 (131 days) treatment with the lemon juice have been repeated almost daily and often two Sometimes the same day; - from 6 / 2 on, instead, the hive in question (as well as all the others) has not received any treatment, nor with the lemon juice, or, of course, with any other substance. For reference, please note that: - it is confirmed that in any periodic counting mites have been noted in various colors and shades (from dark brown to light brown and clear, and the white to white) and of different sizes (from normal for varroa the small dark and white for those with intermediate size between these) - described in the framework also includes other hives that have received the same treatment, except that in two of them are recorded in the first days of May, a drastic reduction of falls despite the extended brood, and distributed on compact 6, 7 and even 8 frames; - all the colonies under observation are still in great shape and are playing a very intense and highly productive. - In fact, to date, during each phase of treatment persisted for more than seven months, we never noticed any apparent damage to bees, however, we believe that we should not lower the level of attention because it still remains to be determined with certainty that in the long run, the product "citric acid" can not in any way be detrimental to the "super-organism" colony. 0 0 0 premise that we are conducting the experiment was the belief that citric acid was significantly lowered the pH within the hive so as nell'emolinfa Bee and therefore could damage the mite by ingestion, with a practical, more effective than other commonly used products whose action takes place "in contact". The findings have consolidated this hypothesis seems to us, and we believe orient us toward a practical and functional-logical deduction that so articulate: - always the queen bee is fed royal jelly (a substance very acidic) and is believed to be why it is not parasitized by Varroa; - the biological cycle worker bee is about 21 days as follows: . 3 days for hatching; . 3 days of feeding with royal jelly; . 3 days of feeding with a mixture of nectar, pollen and perhaps even a small dose of royal jelly, until all'opercolatura; . 12 days in a capped cell for the formation of the adult ready to flicker; - 4 th to 6 th day, then the larva of the bee working nell'emolinfa maintains a high acidity, between 7 th and 9 th day , having changed the composition of the food, the acidity decreases gradually; - as you know, at this stage of decline in acidity and more precisely between the end of the 8 th and 9 th during the day, varroa, capturing the pheromone emitted by the larvae reached the stage of development, "feels" Now is the opportune moment to enter the cell before dell'opercolatura; - same thing for the drones, with the observation that the Varroa prefers these larvae for two main reasons: to ) Male larval cycle is prolonged until 10 days before dell'opercolatura that Varroa has one more day to enter the cell and on top of a larva is much less acidic than that of worker bees for receiving the mixture nutritionally different from the royal jelly for 4 days instead of 3, b) preferably positioned colonies male cells in peripheral areas of the combs, which are more like the varroa because it is less hot. CONCLUSION If this is so, we believe that the conclusion is only one: you should search for and develop a system of administration of citric acid to ensure a spread in the colony, as wide as possible. We are convinced that reaching the highest level of acid diffusion also provide the nourishment that the bees larvae between 8 and Day 9 (9 ° and 10 ° for the drones) can maintain a rate of larval nell'emolinfa acidity that mite put in serious difficulty, and we wonder: It 'conceivably possible that in the last days of its life cycle each larva fed with a mixture more acidic, emits a pheromone different and, therefore, not recognizable by the Varroa? Pariana, May 12, 2011 Francesco Mussi Luciano Mar

wow thats very interesting
it might shed some light for a method of continuesly keeping mites in check

I wonder how long the citric acid is active and wheather a trickle/spray every inspection would be a pratical method of managing varroa numbers.
As even if you managed to make the mites miss 1-2 days of capping times each inspection(10 - 20 inspections a year) i imagine it could have the effect of reducing varroa numbers come autum by fairly large amounts possibly as much as 20%

As ever: I point out the minor climatic differences between Italy, Egypt and the UK.

Beware

PH

Hi!
You forget about me. I am of Polish. The climate is definitely in our colder than in England. And I have tried this method.
Answering questions such as private use lemon juice:
mixture: 1part fresh lemon juice + 1 part sugar syrup (1:1)
dosage: 50ml per hive
timing and application method: I use quite the same way as a commercial product by Austrian "BEEVITAL HIVE CLEAN" which is also known in England (http://www.varroa.co.uk/how_to_apply.php)

greet
Dominik

Back