Varroa control entrance ???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
Has anyone any info on this ???

Just come across this and it's about all it says.

A device called the Varroa Mite Control Entrance (VMCE) is under development as of 2008. The VMCE works in conjunction with a screened bottom board, by dislodging varroa mites from bees as they enter and exit a hive.

found some pictures here > http://www.kwapiary.com/varroamite.html scroll down
looks simple to make :)

Last edited:
from the test results here he is claiming to have a 5 day mite drop of 228 :eek:

the single day of the 9/1/2009 without the brushes had a mite drop of 31, that sound rediculously high to me and it seems to me anything he did would knock down mites.

from the test results here he is claiming to have a 5 day mite drop of 228 :eek:

the single day of the 9/1/2009 without the brushes had a mite drop of 31, that sound rediculously high to me and it seems to me anything he did would knock down mites.

Entrance brush.... 228 mites really? Sorry I dont believe a word of it.

The claim it knocked off 228 mites is laughable and clearly shows no IPM had been used let alone how so many were collected by only being knocked off using said item. If anything I think its more likely to cause unnecessary damage to the bees wings as they repeatedly get scrapped under the brush x amount of times a day.

Any method of IPM would of made a huge difference in a hive with outrageously high levels of mites. Any bee keeper who allows mites to reach these levels should be ashamed of themselves. Theres no excuse.

:rant:

Thanks for posting that wightbees.

took the time and money to apply for this > Patent application title: Varroa mites control entrance (VMCE)

If it can knock mites off then wouldn't it knock pollen off.

Anyway mites hide between the body segments so this sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Latest posts

Back