Varroa becoming a reportable disease in Scotland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe compulsory registration to be a good idea. It would benefit us all. I have had to deal with a 'Fanny Fleabuckle' in one of my apiaries who believed some rubbish on social media that varroa treatments drove bees mad! I kid you not! The Regional Bee Inspector advised me, in her presence, that if she did not treat for Varroa I should evict her from my apiary. The Varroa killed the hive the next winter and she re-stocked it on my terms.
I believe I have posted before the anecdote about our SBI who had to check all the Apiaries in an area as part of an AFB source investigation. I wished her good luck and reckoned she would have at least 3 weeks work. She finished in 6 days and had checked the registered apiaries. I could tell her of double the number she had checked that I knew about from my swarm collecting travels in the area.
My local Association now makes it clear to all new memebers that we expect them to register on BeeBase. I believe most do but we have no way of enforcing registration. There are also those out there that keep bees 'off the grid'!

The Regional Bee Inspector advised me, in her presence, that if she did not treat for Varroa I should evict her from my apiary.

Do the bee inspectors have authority to demand that someone treats for varroa? As their inspections will be during "the season", what can a non-treater who agrees to treat do about it? I'm asking that of the collective Brian, not directly at you. :)

I believe compulsory registration to be a good idea. It would benefit us all. I have had to deal with a 'Fanny Fleabuckle' in one of my apiaries who believed some rubbish on social media that varroa treatments drove bees mad! I kid you not! The Regional Bee Inspector advised me, in her presence, that if she did not treat for Varroa I should evict her from my apiary. The Varroa killed the hive the next winter and she re-stocked it on my terms....snip...
(n) I find it really sad that a threatening punitive stick approach was used; an educative approach might have been more appropriate, perhaps education and diplomacy are not requirements to be a Regional Bee Inspector who presumably heads up a team.

(n) I find it really sad that a threatening punitive stick approach was used; an educative approach might have been more appropriate, perhaps education and diplomacy are not requirements to be a Regional Bee Inspector who presumably heads up a team.

Ever tried arguing with a committed anti vaxxer or non treater? (I have - I now do not bother)

You could make the best arguments possible but logic does not work with some people: their belief systems do not allow for logic.

It's quite simple really , if a non treater is in your apiary you politely ask them to leave, remains friends and have a beer afterwards but........I'm dead against paperwork and registrations of any kind because it doesnt end with 1 form.

Anyway, I'm sure we can all agree that it makes no sense for treaters and non treaters to share an apiary?
It's quite simple really , if a non treater is in your apiary you politely ask them to leave, remains friends and have a beer afterwards but........I'm dead against paperwork and registrations of any kind because it doesnt end with 1 form.
I obviously have missed something here ~ why would you share an apiary with anyone ~ does that mean "association " apiaries are a collection of hives owned by individuals managing their own hives on one site?

This is often the case, yes.
OMG. I have led a sheltered/privileged life ~ I have never encountered that sort of set up ~ have always sought out and provided my own sites. associations I have known had a few "teaching" hives and some equipment that could be borrowed/hired.

OMG. I have led a sheltered/privileged life ~ I have never encountered that sort of set up ~ have always sought out and provided my own sites. associations I have known had a few "teaching" hives and some equipment that could be borrowed/hired.
Association sites are not new and quite common. When I stated in the 80s we purchased a couple of hives off a lady in the association apiary. They stayed there for a few months then came home. Particularly if a new beek it often means there’s someone to at least get a second opinion. I think there’s even more about now as many associations are laying hands on plots and property. In built up town areas they offer easy spots for beeks to locate hives. Ian

Association sites are not new and quite common. When I stated in the 80s we purchased a couple of hives off a lady in the association apiary. They stayed there for a few months then came home. Particularly if a new beek it often means there’s someone to at least get a second opinion. I think there’s even more about now as many associations are laying hands on plots and property. In built up town areas they offer easy spots for beeks to locate hives. Ian
Yes I can see why and how now ~ was so shocked at a Regional bee Inspectors negative attitude, then realised I had obviously 'missed' something. Thanks Boston bees and Ian123 for putting me straight and Madasafish ~ completing my education today.

Latest posts

Back