Varroa becoming a reportable disease in Scotland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazdmoore

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Currently 9 but planning to expand again this year
See the letter below that was sent out to Beekeeepers in Scotland this evening.

Dear Beekeepers,

I am writing to you with a quick update on the previously announced changes to The Bee Diseases and Pests Control (Scotland) Order 2007 in order to make Varroa spp reportable in Scotland.

The Bee Diseases and Pests Control (Scotland) Amendment Order 2021 has now been made by Mr Macpherson, Minister for Rural Affairs and the Natural Environment, and laid in the Scottish Parliament prior to coming into force on the 21st of April 2021.

As you know, Varroa is an ectoparasite of honey bees and it is endemic in the UK (except the Isle of Man). In Scotland we are lucky to still have small pockets and areas which although not officially Varroa free, are reported as not having found the Varroa mite. The most well-known case is Colonsay, but remote areas of Argyll are also reported to be Varroa free.

This move has been triggered by the change in relationship of the UK with Europe: GB now has a Third Country trading relationship with the EU. Article 6 of Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/692 will apply within the EU from 21 April 2021, which requires that consignments of animals, germinal products and products of animal origin (PoAO) shall only be permitted to enter the European Union from a third country or territory where diseases listed in Annex I are required by law to be notified and reported to the competent authority. For consignments of bees, infestation with Varroa mites (Varroosis) is one of the listed diseases in Annex I to Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/692 (as it is referred to in Article 5 of Regulation (EU) 2016/429 (“the Animal Health Law”) and listed in Annex II).

For the purposes of trade, Northern Ireland is part of the EU Phytosanitary zone (SPS). In practice this means that if Varroa is not reportable then after 21st of April, exports of queen bees to Northern Ireland and the EU will not be allowed from GB.

We are working with colleagues in Defra and the National Bee Unit to make this requirement meaningful for bee health improvement without an unnecessary burden on beekeepers. We plan to provide guidance before the 21st of April. Various options for reporting are being considered, including self-reporting via BeeBase. Decisions on reporting requirements will be made through discussion with the Scottish Beekeepers' Association, the Bee Farmers' Association, other stakeholders and operational partners in the Bee Health Improvement Partnership (BHIP).

Within the BHIP, we see this move as a positive opportunity that links with our recently established Varroa Working Group chaired by Matthew Richardson, Science and Bee Health Officer of the SBA. The data that we gather by making the presence of Varroa mites reportable by beekeepers will inform future policy and strategic decisions on Varroa controls, help to reduce its incidence, and prevent its spread into those precious areas that are currently Varroa free.

As one of the first outcomes of the Varroa working group, SASA and the SBA are reviewing their collaborative map of Varroa incidence in Scotland. This will be shared through the SBA shortly, allowing beekeepers to contribute their local knowledge to the project.

You can see the whole legal instrument by clicking here or visiting

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2021/91/article/2/made

I would strongly encourage you all to also read the policy note, which explains in further depth the reasoning for this move, please click on the link below:

The Bee Diseases and Pests Control (Scotland) Amendment Order 2021 (legislation.gov.uk)

As always, if you have any questions or wish to discuss, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us via our mailbox: [email protected]

Best Regards,

Luis Molero Lopez

MRCVS

Lead Bee Inspector Scottish Government

Animal Health and Welfare Division

See the letter below that was sent out to Beekeeepers in Scotland this evening.

Dear Beekeepers,

I am writing to you with a quick update on the previously announced changes to The Bee Diseases and Pests Control (Scotland) Order 2007 in order to make Varroa spp reportable in Scotland.

The Bee Diseases and Pests Control (Scotland) Amendment Order 2021 has now been made by Mr Macpherson, Minister for Rural Affairs and the Natural Environment, and laid in the Scottish Parliament prior to coming into force on the 21st of April 2021.

As you know, Varroa is an ectoparasite of honey bees and it is endemic in the UK (except the Isle of Man). In Scotland we are lucky to still have small pockets and areas which although not officially Varroa free, are reported as not having found the Varroa mite. The most well-known case is Colonsay, but remote areas of Argyll are also reported to be Varroa free.

This move has been triggered by the change in relationship of the UK with Europe: GB now has a Third Country trading relationship with the EU. Article 6 of Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/692 will apply within the EU from 21 April 2021, which requires that consignments of animals, germinal products and products of animal origin (PoAO) shall only be permitted to enter the European Union from a third country or territory where diseases listed in Annex I are required by law to be notified and reported to the competent authority. For consignments of bees, infestation with Varroa mites (Varroosis) is one of the listed diseases in Annex I to Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/692 (as it is referred to in Article 5 of Regulation (EU) 2016/429 (“the Animal Health Law”) and listed in Annex II).

For the purposes of trade, Northern Ireland is part of the EU Phytosanitary zone (SPS). In practice this means that if Varroa is not reportable then after 21st of April, exports of queen bees to Northern Ireland and the EU will not be allowed from GB.

We are working with colleagues in Defra and the National Bee Unit to make this requirement meaningful for bee health improvement without an unnecessary burden on beekeepers. We plan to provide guidance before the 21st of April. Various options for reporting are being considered, including self-reporting via BeeBase. Decisions on reporting requirements will be made through discussion with the Scottish Beekeepers' Association, the Bee Farmers' Association, other stakeholders and operational partners in the Bee Health Improvement Partnership (BHIP).

Within the BHIP, we see this move as a positive opportunity that links with our recently established Varroa Working Group chaired by Matthew Richardson, Science and Bee Health Officer of the SBA. The data that we gather by making the presence of Varroa mites reportable by beekeepers will inform future policy and strategic decisions on Varroa controls, help to reduce its incidence, and prevent its spread into those precious areas that are currently Varroa free.

As one of the first outcomes of the Varroa working group, SASA and the SBA are reviewing their collaborative map of Varroa incidence in Scotland. This will be shared through the SBA shortly, allowing beekeepers to contribute their local knowledge to the project.

You can see the whole legal instrument by clicking here or visiting

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2021/91/article/2/made

I would strongly encourage you all to also read the policy note, which explains in further depth the reasoning for this move, please click on the link below:

The Bee Diseases and Pests Control (Scotland) Amendment Order 2021 (legislation.gov.uk)

As always, if you have any questions or wish to discuss, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us via our mailbox: [email protected]

Best Regards,

Luis Molero Lopez

MRCVS

Lead Bee Inspector Scottish Government

Animal Health and Welfare Division
Varroa is endemic in most of Europe, so that makes a lot of sense from our friends in Europe.

Reminds me I must order a box of fish from Cornwall tomorrow.

This is the important sentence, though

This is the important sentence, though

True; that's the important part in explaining what has prompted the change in legislation. But I think it's also very interesting that our Lead Bee Inspector is welcoming it for another reason. Put simply, it will help them to draw up a map which, I suppose, will give a better definition of the boundaries between areas in which it is widely claimed, there are pockets of varroa-free landscape.

Reactions: mbc
It is nothing to get excited about. Notifiable and Reportable are two entirely different levels of matter.

For us the net effect is nil. We are in a known varroa area (as are most people) but it reflects a change in rules internationally that has made varroa reportable. It is just keeping us internationally integrated. Failure to do it will do nothing to stymie inbound bees but will stop any of US sending bees outside the UK mainland.

It is useful to US in one respect...you can see a more accurate picture of where the verified (within the constraints of what that means) varroa free areas and refrain from sending bees from inferested areas there. We already do that but this will give a semi official map rather than relying on the word of people who may have another agenda.

Will be important for the likes of Andrew Abrahams wanting to mail out his Colonsay bees to Ireland for example, and of course to us...sending our breeder queens to Piemonte and to our non UK mainland clients. The same is going to happen in territories sending bees here..it will also be part of EU rules so if you want queens from either part of Ireland into the UK they will also have been produced under a regime with reportable varroa. Toa ll but a tiny handful of people it is just a procedural matter that will have zero impact on them, and it is not a thing that is going to bring a bee inspector calling.

No cause for any alarm.......and we have been kept fully up to date by Luis and his team throughout. That it may be news to individuals is a matter to take up with your associations. It has not been a stealth process.

Tell them you have varroa in your colonies and let that be the end of it.

It is likely just to be a tick box on an application for an export certificate. For the vast majority of people it is only a national status and the situation will be well known already....a procedural matter to match international rules.

Thanks for the clarification, Murray
Has Luis mentioned if a similar scheme is being planned for other parts of GB?

It is likely just to be a tick box on an application for an export certificate. For the vast majority of people it is only a national status and the situation will be well known already....a procedural matter to match international rules.

Exactly. It's nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the clarification, Murray
Has Luis mentioned if a similar scheme is being planned for other parts of GB?
Yes Luis told me exactly a similar scheme is being brought in within England and Wales

Next step ... will it be compulsory registration for all beekeepers and keepers of honeybees within England, Wales and Scotland?

If Fanny Smith across the valley from me is not registered on beebase and keeps varroa ridden bees... will she be breaking the Law???

> Set mode rant enable
What a bureaucratic delight, more paperwork that serves no purpose at all that, but provides endless fun for paper shufflers. Meanwhile stuff that does need some paperwork for needed control gets lost in the snow of paper,. People then pay less attention to it all and the necessary stuff goes to hell in a hand cart.
>Set mode rant disable

My solution would be for Scottish Inspectorate to simply say all colonies will be assumed to have varroa unless certified otherwise. At a stroke no paperwork except for those wanting to provie they are varroa free for trade purposes.

> Set mode rant enable
What a bureaucratic delight, more paperwork that serves no purpose at all that, but provides endless fun for paper shufflers. Meanwhile stuff that does need some paperwork for needed control gets lost in the snow of paper,. People then pay less attention to it all and the necessary stuff goes to hell in a hand cart.
>Set mode rant disable

You probably wouldn't say that if you lived in a varroa-free area and someone wanted to bring bees in from an area that had varroa.
Today we're talking about varroa. Another day, we could be talking about small hive beetle, AFB, etc. In the UK, we have a principle-based legal system. If you want to stand up for the principle of not importing pests and diseases, you should support systems that enable the authorities to manage them.

You probably wouldn't say that if you lived in a varroa-free area and someone wanted to bring bees in from an area that had varroa.
Today we're talking about varroa. Another day, we could be talking about small hive beetle, AFB, etc. In the UK, we have a principle-based legal system. If you want to stand up for the principle of not importing pests and diseases, you should support systems that enable the authorities to manage them.
You are proving my point, it undermines control about true invading pest and pathogens. By adding something that is already endemic in UK corrodes compliance for all controls. I support having the paperwork that is part of real physical action on real invaders not a dotting the i. and crossing the T on the already endemic that will result in zero physical action.

You are proving my point, it undermines control about true invading pest and pathogens. By adding something that is already endemic in UK corrodes compliance for all controls. I support having the paperwork that is part of real physical action on real invaders not a dotting the i. and crossing the T on the already endemic that will result in zero physical action.

I disagree. It does not undermine anything. It enables it by creating the facility to manage pests and disease better. You're welcome to your opinion though. However, if it becomes a legal requirement (as the OP indicated), this discussion is academic.

for the vast majority of beekeepers across the GB this makes no difference, so what is the point in most beekeepers responding. If you respond to say that one of your hives has a varroa mite what next? And if you choice to ignore it, or don't monitor / treat? Far from clear.

Feels like a sledgehammer to crack a nut approach, but see from the legislation its another consequence of UK becoming a third party country following Brexit. At least I can look forward to a blueish passport when I renew mine next year. Yeah!!

Latest posts

Back