Varroa and DWV

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
There seems to be a lot of posts elsewhere on social media about deformed wings being caused by varroa feeding at the wing buds. I’ve never heard of this. Am I missing something? As far as I’m aware the wing buds are just one place the virus concentrates.
can anybody throw any light on this for me
I did find this which is worth skimming through

DWV transmission, replication and tropism

There seems to be a lot of posts elsewhere on social media about deformed wings being caused by varroa feeding at the wing buds. I’ve never heard of this. Am I missing something? As far as I’m aware the wing buds are just one place the virus concentrates.
can anybody throw any light on this for me
I did find this which is worth skimming through

DWV transmission, replication and tropism
I'm no expert but I thought DWV was an RNA Virus that is just vectored by the varroa - all I've ever seen is that it's the virus that caused the deformity as a result of interfering with the developing larvae's DNA ...nothing to do with physical damage ....

But I may be out of date > someone on here will know.

It's the vigour some of these crackpot ideas are bounced around with that annoy me. You try to answer a beginners question and somebody I know is experienced lunges in with this sort of comment.

Latest posts

Back