Varomorus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Varomorus.
I was wondering if any one is using one of these if so how there getting on with it.
The above is a gas vaporizer.
Looking at the canister with the measurement scale - it looks a little odd to me for oxalic sublimation. It might be that I don’t understand it - it looks like a fogger for liquids.

It’s a fogger. Whatever you use you dissolve it in ethanol.
Get a sublimox and be done with.
Actually had second thoughts on that. Foggers use oil?
With ethanol going through the heater it wound evaporate?
Maybe there’s a demo on YouTube?

It is a fogger.... not much used in the UK .... dubious whether they have much effect.... illegal to use anyway...
What's illegal, Phil - the equipment itself or the fact that it's not one of the manufacturer's specified delivery method for the only UK-approved OA miticide?

CVB

What's illegal, Phil - the equipment itself or the fact that it's not one of the manufacturer's specified delivery method for the only UK-approved OA miticide?

CVB

I am guessing fogging is not an approved application method.

CVB
The stuff you put in it ... as a fogger it's not going to work with apibioxal - they usually use a mineral oil as a carrier for something like Wintergreen oil - neither of which are approved products under the VMD list. I don't think the VMD licence application methods - they just licence (or not as the case may be) the stuff you put in them.

The stuff you put in it ... as a fogger it's not going to work with apibioxal - they usually use a mineral oil as a carrier for something like Wintergreen oil - neither of which are approved products under the VMD list. I don't think the VMD licence application methods - they just licence (or not as the case may be) the stuff you put in them.

Marketing Authorisations (MA) from the VMD are specifically limited to the stated doses, application frequency and application methods as specified. That said, an MA can specify more than one acceptable application method (e.g. AbiBioxal by trickling or sublimation, OxyBee by spray or trickle, and so on). None of the 6 current VMD MAs (only actually 4 different formulations) for products containing Oxalic Acid (or OA Dihydrate) for administration to bees are for fogging application.

On a more practical note, why would you anyway? It seems a less consistent method (in terms of temperatures, accuracy of dosing, leeching of "fog" between applications of the "trigger") than direct sublimation methods.

On a more practical note, why would you anyway? It seems a less consistent method (in terms of temperatures, accuracy of dosing, leeching of "fog" between applications of the "trigger") than direct sublimation methods.
I agree ... by all accounts fogging is an outdated and not particularly effective treatment ....

If there was a mechanism I’m sure many of us would crowd-fund you to buy one and test it out Curly.
I wouldn't. I'd advice him to not get involved in any unnecessary activity that *might* take his business into a legal quagmire.

I wouldn't. I'd advice him to not get involved in any unnecessary activity that *might* take his business into a legal quagmire.
Quagmire love that word haven't heard it for a while :).
Well I won't be buying a fogger then ;)

Latest posts

Back