Vaping PPE

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems strange that the Royal Navy always allowed us to have beards ,this was no problem as long as you were wearing the PPE correctly.Why tell everyone there is a problem when one doesn't exist.

Even the RAF allow beards now!

When I was doing my advanced firefighting certificates at fire school, the matter of beards did come up (I've always had a full set - my sister is convinced I was born with it) so the water fairies running the course monitored me carefully, they found, with carefully and correct fitting there was little difference between me and the fresher faced snotties on the course.

Even the RAF allow beards now!

When I was doing my advanced firefighting certificates at fire school, the matter of beards did come up (I've always had a full set - my sister is convinced I was born with it) so the water fairies running the course monitored me carefully, they found, with carefully and correct fitting there was little difference between me and the fresher faced snotties on the course.

Curious you should mention that. Its exactly the information I was given some years ago, and realistically we are not shut in a room full of O.A. vapours, we just need adequate protection and correctly fitted PPE.
I too have a full set.

Interesting....... though I have seen people with beards running out of air in 10 minutes using BA rather than the normal 20. Nothing to do with the beard then.

PH

Another point to think about with the full-face mask is whether you need to wear spectacles. The seal is to prevent you sucking OA into the mask when you inhale. If you wear specs, you cannot get a seal where the mask meets the spectacle arms so when you breath in, you could suck vapour into the mask, close to your eyes and of course you could end up inhaling it.

If you need to wear spectacles, a separate half-face mask and a pair of goggles might be a better option. There is then no negative pressure in the goggles as you breath and the OA should be kept away from the eyes.

CVB

Eric I think there are plenty of forum members with quite impressive beards who vape their bees. How do they manage?

Maybe they're the downwind types willing to compromise their health, maybe they haven't used a full-face mask with a beard, but when I used the FFM for the first time and it leaked (minimal) OA into my lungs, I didn't let it happen again.

I like finding effective beekeeping short-cuts, but with vaping PPE the only short cut should be with a razor.

maybe they haven't used a full-face mask with a beard,

Maybe when you've had to regularly wear one as part of your job to know how to wear one properly you wouldn't be so bloody opinionated about it.
Hipsters - think because they've had a beard for five minutes that they know it all.

Last edited:
If you have a beard or wear glasses you just buy a mask that can be worn with both as with most things PPE related there are many types of kit to suit everybody. In the end it all comes down to how much you are willing to spend.I wouldn't class myself as an expert but after some time in the services and the working with a water company going down many a wet well full of s**t I've pretty much seen it all.

Maybe they're the downwind types willing to compromise their health, maybe they haven't used a full-face mask with a beard, but when I used the FFM for the first time and it leaked (minimal) OA into my lungs, I didn't let it happen again.

I like finding effective beekeeping short-cuts, but with vaping PPE the only short cut should be with a razor.

Well Eric if it works for you that’s fine. You got a lungful and shaved. Do you think that the others here continue to breathe in oxalic every time they vape?
They have possibly found PPE to suit?

Maybe when you've had to regularly wear one as part of your job to know how to wear one properly you wouldn't be so bloody opinionated about it.
Hipsters - think because they've had a beard for five minutes that they know it all.

Well, Emyr, opinion formed from practical experience is hard to dismiss and as I use an FFM to vape about 140 a year, I'll stick with the knowledge gained.
Yes, hipsters are sweet, aren't they, but as I'm about 3 times the age of a metro hipster and have had that sort of beard on and off since 1977...

Back