Vaped hive & low mite drop result

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karsal

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 Pay*es Poly Hives 7 Poly Nucs
I vaped all my colonies October last year over 15 days at 5 day intervals and had reasonable drops from all 5 colonies. I vaped my hives Tuesday this week and put bottom boards in afterwards to monitor the varroa drop.
I have only seen a drop of about 20 from all the colonies in total when I looked this afternoon. It was a reasonable day on Tuesday 9 degrees and the bees were flying from all hives. ( I have Paynes Poly Hives) I did lift the top off one and remove the insulation to have a peek through the clear plastic crown board and they were quite active.
I'll leave them now until mid March and vape then.

I vaped all my colonies October last year over 15 days at 5 day intervals and had reasonable drops from all 5 colonies. I vaped my hives Tuesday this week and put bottom boards in afterwards to monitor the varroa drop.
I have only seen a drop of about 20 from all the colonies in total when I looked this afternoon. It was a reasonable day on Tuesday 9 degrees and the bees were flying from all hives. ( I have Paynes Poly Hives) I did lift the top off one and remove the insulation to have a peek through the clear plastic crown board and they were quite active.

Have you considered checking the mite drop before vaping them? It sounds like you are treating in January and March on a schedule.

Varroa seems to be less numerous across wide patches of the UK now, for whatever reason. If you treat your hives unnecessarily it weakens the bees, a bit, and the hive will be very defensive for at least a few days.

Have you considered checking the mite drop before vaping them? It sounds like you are treating in January and March on a schedule.

Varroa seems to be less numerous across wide patches of the UK now, for whatever reason. If you treat your hives unnecessarily it weakens the bees, a bit, and the hive will be very defensive for at least a few days.

I wouldn't want to trust natural drop rates or open up my bees for alcohol wash at this time of year and a winter vape will not cause any of the problems you mentioned. There's simply no.reason not to schedule for a broodless vape( the op's probably a bit late for that)

Your drop rates are just slightly higher than mine after I did the same treatment in September.
I doubt you'll need to treat now til autumn ( perhaps a drone cull late June ?)

Latest posts

Back