Vape Masks

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
I have been using the 3M mask for the task and frankly, the straps that hold it to your face are, IMHO, woeful broadly speaking and not up to the job.

It might be past training but a respirator or mask should be tight fitting and not leave me feeling it might drop off right when I need it.

Does anyone else use a competitors product or alternative to the 3M blue one I have used they would recommend please?

I have been using the 3M mask for the task and frankly, the straps that hold it to your face are, IMHO, woeful broadly speaking and not up to the job.

It might be past training but a respirator or mask should be tight fitting and not leave me feeling it might drop off right when I need it.

Does anyone else use a competitors product or alternative to the 3M blue one I have used they would recommend please?

https://www.toolstation.com/gvs-p3r-half-mask-respirator/p42614

Works for me ...

Last edited:
Are the straps permanently fixed to the mask Phil

I wonder every year how many who happily vape have actually read the MSDS. Not many I suspect.

PH

Are the straps permanently fixed to the mask Phil

No ...they clip on the side. The straps are quite wide and the adjusters are very firm so they don't slacken off in use. Obviousjy it's only a face mask so you do need eye protection as well if you are cleaning hives with OA by sublimation... I wear glasses so I have a pair of goggles that go over them ... can't remember where I got them ...

I wonder every year how many who happily vape have actually read the MSDS. Not many I suspect.

PH

Same could be said for any of the treatments, this one is for MAQS, how many wear full P.P.E as is expected for O.A when handling this sh*t!

Harmful if swallowed. Category 4
H332 Harmful if inhaled. Category 4
H290 May be corrosive to metals. Category 1
H314 Causes severe skin burns and eye damage. Category 1B
H318 Causes serious eye damage. Category 1
H401 Toxic to aquatic life. Category 4
H433 Harmful to terrestrial vertebrates.

Eyes Wear goggles with side shields. Avoid wearing contact lenses.
Hands and Skin Wear coveralls over a long-sleeved shirt, long pants, socks and shoes, acid
resistant gloves (PVC, neoprene or nitrile).

Last edited:
This is what we use and it's perfect for the job, not the cheapest but the best. Great visibility and good all round seal, easy strap adjustment.

3m 6000 Full Face Respirator
And these filters
3M 6059 ABEK1 Gas & Vapour Filter Pack
+
3M 2138 P3 Particulate Organic Vapour & Acid Gas Filters

Last edited:
please not understand me wrong,but anyone health its inexpensive is well???
what with your skin on the face???, especially eyes?
OA with any part moisture body reacting fast,my you ignore that but if not now ,than in future get back to you deteriorating your eyes
and discolorating patches your skin,
some chemicals working slow but systematically destroing.

OA with any part moisture body reacting fast,my you ignore that but if not now ,than in future get back to you deteriorating your eyes

THE BEST MASK OR RESPIRATOR IN THE WORLD IS NOT OF ANY USE IF YOU DON'T WEAR IT!

Seriously if you are that concerned about a product, or of your own capabilities of handling it safely... just do not use it.

Chons da

As I value my health I'll not be trusting an £8 jobbie from fleabay.
The set up I use is an organic acid filter with a particulate filter on top of this. When using a sublimox you can find that you are surrounded by OA vapour and I can attest this set up works, as long as ther mask is fitted properly.... I haven't gone for a full face mask but will certainly consider that option when current cartridges expire.
Details below. But essentially mask and organic acid filter with a holder on top of this that contains a particulate filter, a double filter if you like.

3m 6000 series half mask reusable respirator 6200 medium or 6300 large
Filter-
1. 3M 6059 ABEK1 Organic Vapour Filters / 6000 SERIes
2. 1 Pair 3M 501 Filter Retainers For Use with 5000 6000 7000 Series particulate Filters
3. 3M 5935 / P3 Particulate Filters

Last edited:

I've no intention of bathing in the damn stuff and as I'm not as inept as to scatter it around like confetti, I'll just take reasonable care.
If you honestly think that a full Noddy suit is de rigeur for the job I sincerely question your competence.

Seriously if you are that concerned about a product, or of your own capabilities of handling it safely... just do not use it.

Chons da

That's me.

Trickling on Christmas Day, much safer, no gas, no vapours, no risk (I wear eye protection).

Back