Vandal attack in urban site

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Small attack but still a pain. Got a call today re hive pushed over on a site of 12 hives, the odd things people do. Footprints in the snow, I just wished it had been a badger but sadly it was some plank who did it. Bees ok but will have been chilled and stressed in the 6hr period missing roof etc

JD

It is surprising how resilient (or tough) bees can be. The colony which survived last winter, just outside a window, demonstrated that. So hopefully not too much damage to numbers in the cluster.

Plank? Not the term I would use. Perhaps this 'plank' needs splitting from end to end! I hope you have taken a pic of a good footprint with your mobile phone?

I hope you either catch them or it is an isolated event.

Regards, RAB

thanks

I put it back together and they seem ok, my biggest worry is about tonight and what next - 12 hives/bees is a lot of money to have kicked over worst case.

Expect they will return when you least expect it....time to move them to a new location perhaps.

I trust you have informed your local Plod???............. they can't be out chasing criminal motorist for speeding in all this snow, so it could give them something worthwhile to do!!!!

thanks

I put it back together and they seem ok, my biggest worry is about tonight and what next - 12 hives/bees is a lot of money to have kicked over worst case.

i had similar several years ago on an allotement

i stop it by strapping the hive to a two large paving slab with the locking ratchet under the roof,

then just two large screws into the feed eke from the roof, pain to dismantle but meant i could leave them over winter

In summer did strapping with lock rachet under the roof the same but no screws , they may lift the roof in summer but to scared to stay long and undo the strap ratchet

but having found it was too heavy to move in winter, i never had anymore trouble

last year though i lost a hive on a osr site as they kicked in the side panel which i did not notice for a week, Bees seem to like the extra exit and it was the most productive hive

Latest posts

Back