Value of colonies?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the average value you place on a colony, including nucs but excluding product

• £50-150

Votes: 15 15.5%
  • £151-300

Votes: 56 57.7%
  • £301-400

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • £401-600

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • £601 or more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

roche

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am trying to evaluate the risks involved in a compensation scheme. In order to get some basis for calculations, it would really help me if people could answer this poll:

I am understanding you are mean the whole hive, not just the colony (defined as 'a group of animals living together'). Beehouse owners may seriously skew your results as these are likely to be single hive owners. You may be able to account for this, but that is another variable which may be affected by new beeks and ones with several hand-me-down WBCs.

Regards, RAB

I sort of expect the only entries in the £601 or greater will be Beehaus owners. The exception I won't trap is Beehaus owners with TBH colonies...Drags the average down a bit.

I have to say this should be two polls.

You are asking for the average value which includes nucs.

I would poll for the value of nucs, mine are £125.

I would poll separately for the value of colonies and I would call a colony, for this purpose, a floor, brood box, Crown board, roof, and 11 frames with bees and queen with at least 8 frames of brood. Spring value.

If I have four nucs at £125 and ten colonies at £300. I am reducing the value of the colonies. That average is £3500 devided by 14 =£250

PH

Yes, you are right, two polls might have been better, but I didn't want to stretch peoples patience too much :). On the other hand, you are increasing the value of the nucs. I think people with more than 5 colonies are liable to be running nucs in about the proportion you suggest. It should be possible to capture that by inference and correct for it.
Cheers,

Roche

Latest posts

Back