usual Euro b.....s

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe we should all sell chunk honey and more or less guarantee the average pollen content to be below the limits:) After all, the sample would be of the liquid honey element whilst the %age would be of the whole jar ;)
Should give the learned Gentlemen a good living for a good few years looking for a response? :D
VM

Hey Heebeegeebee, don't knock lots of lawyer time! My Merc's getting a bit elderly. And it's claret for lawyers. Champagne is for women and city traders.

Right-oh.
Got that!
Tinnies for ....?

Last edited:
Not quite - you've almost got it.

Your Paragraph 1 actually says *IF* its not capable of genetic transfer, we are OK.
Your Paragraph 2 says if it is capable of genetic transfer then, for these reasons, we need authorisation if there's any GMO in our honey. Para 3 says even if accidentally in the honey. Para 4 even if there's the merest trace of it.

The ECJ were asked by the Bavarian court to clarify the Law.
They've done that.
But they have (very cleverly) avoided giving judgement in the Bavarian case, because that's not their job this time.
They've said its up to the Bavarians to decide whether Para 1 or 2 applies. And that depends on science, which the ECJ doesn't rule on.
These guys are Judges. Top Judges. May not always seem like it, but they are clever.

I was making an assumption based on your short-hand in order to try and simplify - I am a simple soul you see...

To para 4. If there is a merest trace of GM pollen. So if some pollen gets in from a GM research site somewhere in the UK. Even one detectable grain...... We're doomed Capt Mainwaring???

Last edited:
Right-oh.
Got that!
Beer for ....?
When stationed in Malta many moons ago, The Arkroyal was in Valletta harbour . The captain held a 'Gala Dinner Dance' on board . An invitation was circulated to all military establishments on the island .
Her Majesties Aircraft Carrier Arkroyal
Is holding a Gala Ball on ****19**,
A cordial invitation is extended to -
All Officers and their Ladies.
All NCOs and their Wives.
All other ranks and their Women .
Nice , good old RN.
VM

in the same vein -"You 'aven't got 'emerrhoids you 'orrible little man, you've got piles, 'emerrhoids is for hofficers"

When stationed in Malta many moons ago, The Arkroyal was in Valletta harbour . The captain held a 'Gala Dinner Dance' on board . An invitation was circulated to all military establishments on the island .
A cordial invitation is extended to -
All Officers and their Ladies.
All NCOs and their Wives.
All other ranks and their Women .
Nice , good old RN.
VM

He's so polite is our Gentleman John - Gala Party lol you meant a cock and arse party (which is how it is actually refered to.). They are the bane of every living soul on board.

During another "gala ball" the captain had made everyones life a particular misery. Shore leave had been cancelled so that brass screws in the depths of te engine room could be polished even more. 3rd "Gala Party" in that week and patience was wearing thin. During the height of the Gala Party when all the foreign dignitaries were roaring drunk a large cabbage rolled into the control room. Silence descended and a feint hiss could be heard. Then a blinding light and everyone was deaf and covered in coleslaw. That taught the b'stds. A large cabbage had been carved to receive a thunder flash grenade. The pin pulled and sent to it's death amongst the party goers.

However it was not to be and a few days later, another port and another bunch of dignitaries drinking their way through the cellars and a loud thud of a large cabbage as it too rolled into the control room.

Shouts of "Takeeee Coverrrrrr" and dignitaries being thrown to the floor and women screaming in fear. And f@ck all happens - silence - it was just a cabbage and many red faced officers. That did teach them. But then it all changed.

To be honest, the EU is on its last legs! This time next year there may be no EU if Italy goes tits up. So no more silly laws, well maybe a few but they will be our own.

I was making an assumption based on your short-hand in order to try and simplify - I am a simple soul you see...
Honestly, if you try to 'simplify' these things, you will distort and diverge from whatever law has been laid down. Sad but true.

To para 4. If there is a merest trace of GM pollen. So if some pollen gets in from a GM research site somewhere in the UK. Even one detectable grain...... We're doomed Capt Mainwaring???
Your paras 3 & 4 only apply if your para 2 applies -- it all depends on whether or not the pollen is 'capable of genetic transfer'.
That is the 'big picture' as I have it now.
And, as I pointed out, the ECJ is carefully avoiding ruling on that issue!
But if that pollen is capable of genetic transfer, then the honey containing it needs authorisation, even if its there accidentally, and no matter how little of it there might be.

But if its not capable of genetic transfer, then we aren't doomed after all.

Personally, I suspect that the science may not be able to show that genetic transfer, which would mean we were exactly where we were before the ruling. (Though quite a lot of lawyers are already much richer...)

Am I the only one wondering which Ark Royal this might be?
The 1981 ship? Or the 1955 one? Probably not a Gala onboard the 1938/41 edition. But there was a 1913/34 incarnation ...
Definitely not Sir Walter Raleigh's one. That wasn't an aircraft carrier ... :biggrinjester:

Harsh. Very harsh. No need . . . . he'll be laying in bed now, the gentle hiss of his teeth in steradent reminding him of the sea ..........

Am I the only one wondering which Ark Royal this might be?
The 1981 ship? Or the 1955 one? Probably not a Gala onboard the 1938/41 edition. But there was a 1913/34 incarnation ...
Definitely not Sir Walter Raleigh's one. That wasn't an aircraft carrier ... :biggrinjester:
The 1955 one :ack2:
VM

Latest posts

Back