Using Sterling Board / OSB

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonstandard

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
9 colonies & 2 nucs
I am at the moment refurbishing an old WBC hive and was wondering about the pros and cons of using Sterling/OSB for parts such as the roof parts inside of the metal roof and the floor (with OMF cutout).

Another thought was would it be strong and durable enough to make extra lifts from rather than using ply, the lifts will be painted.

Another question is about fixing the roof metals, they will be trapped along the peak by a strip of wood, but what would be the best adhesive to fix it to the wooden roof sheets, I'd like to avoid nailing through the metal if possible.

you would be better of using marzipan rather than obs board its construction is not sorted to outside works or hive constructions, it could be used under the roof if you want. as for a glue i would get the powderd eura glue from tool station as it is some very good stuff

yes tonybloke osb is used outside alot but used for hives i find that the strands delaminates very quickly and its internal cross section is very course and full of voids which help hold the water/moisture,

i would suggest that you were to use shuttering ply rather than osb

I think T*****s roof inners are OSB.

Yes, they are. At least, they were ten years or so ago when we bought quite a few and they're still going strong now.

Best,
Roland

I think T*****s roof inners are OSB.

And protected from the rain as they are, they are fine. Noting that the sides are still made from Cedar.

Adam

On paper, it is experior spec. In practice, I don't find it lives up to its promise.

Not directly in the open it's not. That company who shall not be named (Hush my mouth) do use OSB (Sterling board) for their roofs. Speaks volumes in my book. OSB will hold moisture and therefore fungal spores. Furthermore it all depends how long you want the hive to last.

I have a shed 40'x20' made of osb,sterling board,built around 16 years ago...no rot or mould problems yet.....so a complete mystery then.

Might the spec have changed or the maker changed in the meantime?

Just a thought.

PH

made a few nuc boxes from sterling board, they are fine. Not sure if I would want to use for bb.s as its not the strongest of stuff.
Dave

Might the spec have changed or the maker changed in the meantime?

Just a thought.

PH
No Idea....but if the spec had changed, i don't think they would alter it to make the product so it rots out in next to no time, and go mouldy. Spec is usually changed to improve a product, i would of thought.

i will personal still say that as alarge sheet the osb board is ok for site fence panels but when cut up into small super sizes i still think that it is to week to realy hold well together and there is to many voids in it that will hold water moisture.

given a free pile of the stuff i will still go and buy ply wood to build hives with

Thanks for all your comments, on further research there are different grades of OSB.

Grade 1 is for non structural interior use

Grade 2 is for structural (dry) use

Grade 3 is marine grade for structural (humid) use

Grade 2 and 3 costs seem to be £20 to £25 for an 18mm sheet and £11 for 9mm.

My original question was about the use of OSB for the inside of a metal roof and for the interior of a WBC floor for which I guess grade 2 or 3 would be suitable although I guess grade 3 would always be preferable.

I also asked about the suitability for making WBC lifts with OSB, the question is irrelevant now as I bought a couple of lifts in the th***es sale. I suspect OSB 3 would suffice for this purpose; However, I suspect that the downfall of using OSB for lifts or brood/supers would be that it would not stand up too well to the attrition of regular inspections even if painted or sealed/varnished.

Thanks again for your help,
Jim

Latest posts

Back