Using Poly and Wood Hives, A Question...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peebels

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi All

Just thought I would see if any of you can offer me some advice about using two different types of hive. I currently have a three hive site where I use 12x14 national brood boxes. In this coming year I am looking to establish a second site by artificially swarming one/two of my existing colonies. One of the things we have been looking at is the use of poly hives but the only ones I can find are langstroth. Is there an easy (ish) way I could artificially swarm my existing colonies into these or would it prove too difficult.
Hope my above question makes sense

Thanks

P

They also have a new method of controlling swarming by blocking the normal hole in the brood, adding another super with a hole above the queen excluder that the bees start to use. The queen is therefore trapped below and the queen cells will either be destroyed, or they hatch and the old queen is killed, you then bock up hole 2 and re open hole 1 and there you have a new queen with the same hive and no loss of swarm. That is it VERy basically but well worth looking at. They use polyhives to do this but I am thinking of trying to adapt a wooden National to see if it works.
:chillpill:

Latest posts

Back