Using lavender in your smoker.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Hi does anyone else use lavender in there smoker?
Do you notice any difference in the bees? If you use it.
Or do you notice any health benefits?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20201006_160159.jpg
    IMG_20201006_160159.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 8
I’ve used dried lavender before from the garden, nice fragrant smoke but it does burn quite quickly. I didn’t notice whether it made much difference to the bees, but usually my bees don’t require smoking so I only use the smoker at the start to smoke the entrance.

Andrew

I save and use the dried cuttings for smoker use. Can't say I notice any benefits apart from a nicer aroma when used.

I don't think the bees giver a buzz but I use lavender, rosemary and dried orange peel as a top up to dried rotten wood. It smells nice to me. I used to throw in bay leaves till somebody here pointed out they give off hydrogen cyanide.....ooops!
Never killed any bees with it though.
One of our old forum members, a clergyman, used to use incense

Like our dearly missed Dusty, I tried Frankincense and that was 'heavenly' (;))
Unfortunately I've not been back to Tewkesbury Fayre to buy some more but I've added Lavender cuttings to the mix. Smells nice but produces lots of tar so best to only add a little. A bloke I know uses Russian Sage, personally I found it horrible.
I think the bees hate it the same as any other smoke I suppose.

I’ve used dried lavender before from the garden, nice fragrant smoke but it does burn quite quickly. I didn’t notice whether it made much difference to the bees, but usually my bees don’t require smoking so I only use the smoker at the start to smoke the entrance.

Andrew
Shirley... smoke at the entrance drives them up... where you do not want them?

Shirley... smoke at the entrance drives them up... where you do not want them?
It works for me, but it’s only a little puff of smoke around the entrance and then the rest of the smoke is saved in case needed during the inspection.

Number one smoker fuel is radiata pine needles. Nothing else I've tried, including lavender, comes close.

An acrid smoke will stir up bees just as much as it offends our nostrils a gentle smoke like that produced by lavender is more acceptable to bees but does burn to quickly. I mix mine with my shredded prunings from my apple and pear trees. Makes for a slow burning and pleasant! smoke which when I need to use has the desired effect

Thanks all, I make cartridges up using news paper to fit my smoker as others have said they don't last long and you have to top up with more lavender very regularly.

Lavender does seem to be more gentle on the bees, I'm yet to see any benefits concerning health.

I had a friend who said it chilled his bees out.. I said no it's the Queen you had of me isn't it;):LOL:

Hi does anyone else use lavender in there smoker?
Do you notice any difference in the bees? If you use it.
Or do you notice any health benefits?

Cheers
I use rolled corrugated cardboard in the main chamber but started adding fresh lavender leaves and flowers scrunched up on top to give a cool smoke. They've been incredibly calm last few inspections....

Like our dearly missed Dusty, I tried Frankincense and that was 'heavenly' (;))
Unfortunately I've not been back to Tewkesbury Fayre to buy some more but I've added Lavender cuttings to the mix. Smells nice but produces lots of tar so best to only add a little. A bloke I know uses Russian Sage, personally I found it horrible.
I think the bees hate it the same as any other smoke I suppose.
Do you think there is a priestly caste of bees? I'm sure the ones that wander pensively above the crown board are the colony philosophers, but I think they are very sceptical about organised religion.

Absolutely, bees much calmer than the cedar shavings I used to use when making hives. Not sure about health advantages but by the time I and my niece have finished inspecting three hives she’s half asleep!

We struggled initially for the smoke to last the inspection of our two hives, but after watching many online videos we have mastered that. However we haven't found any fuel that doesn't stick in my throat and burn my eyes. Mostly used wood shavings with grass and lavender crammed on the top, is there anything we can use that isn't so acrid?

Rotten wood. I forage a load and dry it out before breaking it up in my fuel tin. Bits of hessian, torn egg boxes, dried leaves, lavender clippings are extra additions. mixed in the smoker it will smoulder for hours.

Latest posts

Back