Using Douglas fir as hive boxes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Hi, what are your thoughts about the above title..
I've got some one who can make me hive shells there a bit cheaper than cedar what do you think.

We have got some soft wood hives to make up but there not that good.. They would be OK to use in the warmer parts of the season but I wouldn't want to overwinter in them.
Thanks in advance.

Mark

Hi, what are your thoughts about the above title..
I've got some one who can make me hive shells there a bit cheaper than cedar what do you think.

We have got some soft wood hives to make up but there not that good.. They would be OK to use in the warmer parts of the season but I wouldn't want to overwinter in them.
Thanks in advance.

Mark
You mentioned "Douglas Fir" - I think that is another name for what we call "Öregon" in Australia. If we are talking about the same species of timber, I would not be using it for hive boxes. It is strong and durable when used in house construction, but it does not do particularly well if exposed to the weather, as it splits rather easily and is not noted for rot resistance.

Douglas Fir is described as moderately durable, the same as Larch. I've no experience of Douglas but I've used a fair bit of untreated larch outside and it lasts a fair amount of time. I'd happily use it for brood boxes (I have a few planks for that purpose). It is noticeably heavier though.

Its heavier than cedar and needs some sort of treatment every year to stop it rotting .Won't last as long as cedar but if you can get it cheap enough and you don't mind the weight why not.

Thanks folks.. I plan to get 20 brood boxes made and will treat them a few times before I use them, I'm not to worried about the weight.
But was more concerned with them splitting and the knots falling out and maybe the resin that is sucreted from the wood.
Cheers.

Thanks folks.. I plan to get 20 brood boxes made and will treat them a few times before I use them, I'm not to worried about the weight.
But was more concerned with them splitting and the knots falling out and maybe the resin that is sucreted from the wood.
Cheers.
Have a look at using Larch, its what I made my long deep hives from.

I had the luxury of getting it from a local farm sawmill - cut to size more or less as well - £1 per linear meter at X thickness and as wide as the tree allowed.
That's where the Douglas is coming from a local sawmills, he supplies all our sleepers and fencing posts etc.
Im going to speak to him on the weekend about using larch before I place my order.

If I remember rightly it was Murray(into the lions den)who had Douglas fir boxes that were really old

If I remember rightly it was Murray(into the lions den)who had Douglas fir boxes that were really old
Interesting thanks protheroe.. I suppose most BFs try and make boxes as cheap as they can if there cany and want to save a penny or two.
Cheers.

I had the luxury of getting it from a local farm sawmill - cut to size more or less as well - £1 per linear meter at X thickness and as wide as the tree allowed.
Crickey another good reason to move to Scotland.

Its not always like that sadly. Most goods here cost significantly more than in towns and cities, plus there is nearly always a surcharge for delivered items. Ho hum.
Some consider D&G as a remote area 🙄

Back