Using a mini nuc with Queen Cell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have a colony that was getting ready to supercede I believe (a couple of identical cells 1/2 way up a frame) so did an art. swarm last week. I have bought a mini nuc as I would like to try rearing a queen in this way.

I have the original clipped queen (who is prolific and a non swarmer as it is her 3rd year) and would like to make new queens for my other two colonies. The queenless colony should have a number of sealed QCs by tomorrow. I thought if I have a number of sealed cells I can split them into a couple of nucs and one into the mini nuc. It is easy splitting a colony into a couple of nucs as I just need to share the frames around (but should I close them in for a few days?).

My real question is how to I go about introducing both bees and sealed QC into the mini nuc? I have read that I should put the bees in covered in water or 1:1 syrup and leave for a few days in a dark cool place. I should then introduce the sealed QC and place in the apiary. Is this the generally accepted way to populate a mini nuc.

Any help would be appreciated ASAP as I am inspecting either this afternoon or first thing Sunday if the weather holds.

When you say mini nuc are you talking about an Apidia ?

I have a colony that was getting ready to supercede I believe (a couple of identical cells 1/2 way up a frame) so did an art. swarm last week. I have bought a mini nuc as I would like to try rearing a queen in this way.

I have the original clipped queen (who is prolific and a non swarmer as it is her 3rd year) and would like to make new queens for my other two colonies. The queenless colony should have a number of sealed QCs by tomorrow. I thought if I have a number of sealed cells I can split them into a couple of nucs and one into the mini nuc. It is easy splitting a colony into a couple of nucs as I just need to share the frames around (but should I close them in for a few days?).

My real question is how to I go about introducing both bees and sealed QC into the mini nuc? I have read that I should put the bees in covered in water or 1:1 syrup and leave for a few days in a dark cool place. I should then introduce the sealed QC and place in the apiary. Is this the generally accepted way to populate a mini nuc.

Any help would be appreciated ASAP as I am inspecting either this afternoon or first thing Sunday if the weather holds.

=======
I am still quite new to this but have experience of dividing colony last autumn. Hope this helps.

Other members : Please do correct me if I have not done it correctly.

I acquired a small colony in a nuc last July. In August/Sept the colony kept producing queen cells (to swarm). I had to remove the frame with the QC in from the colony.

What I was advised to do was to take that frame after shaking the older bees off, put in a national nuc, add a couple more frames of stores and brood and young bees. The new colony are young bees and no queen, only QCs. Leave it alone.

I had a do another split a few weeks from the parent colony a few weeks later when I found more QCs, but this time I moved the queen and some young bees off to a new location - (artificial swarm??). I ended up with 3 colonies and they are doing okay so far (fingers crossed).

A recent article in beecrafts explianed how to do an art. swarm.

Never shake bees of a frame with a QC on it if you want that queen to survive, always brush the bees of carefully, you were lucky shaking the frame usually kills the queen unless she was about to emerge

Latest posts

Back