Using a Fridge to Set Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodenBeam

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
More than a few
The usual problem at this time of year for me - ambient temperature of 20-25 degrees causing issues with trying to get soft set to ‘set’ and then when it eventually does, forms larger crystals than ideally wanted. I say this as I do seed my soft set and when producing at cooler times of the year get good results.
For this reason I’m considering the purchase of a fridge with temp range up to 15 degrees to control the process. Can anyone vouch for the results of using a fridge set at 12-14 degrees to assist in the production of set honey?
As an additional advantage to going down this route would I be correct in thinking this may also create less ‘bloom’ when the temperatures are somewhat lower when storing/jarring up set honey?

Sounds an ideal solution. I think if I did a lot of soft set during the summer I would be tempted to invest in a fridge like that.

After recently asking how people got their soft set to solidify in warm temperatures I tried 3 ways.

1 Control - Leaving at ambient temp
This didn't work - honey still runny after 2 weeks.

2 Putting in a fridge at about 5 Deg C for three days then returning to ambient (SWMBO wanted her fridge space back)
This worked but it took longer than 3 - I suppose the fridge started the reaction off.

3 Chilling my honey warmer to 14degC using ice packs.
This worked - honey firming up within about 4-5 days.

I'm making my first ever batch of soft set honey (only 12kg).
Last year I made a honey warming cabinet from a fridge that had been dumped in a local hedge and added a temp controller, fan and heater.
I now find that it works well as a cooler using ice packs.
I can monitor the temp using the temp controller (adjusting the settings so not to turn on the heater). The honey has now been at 14C for 2 days and I'm stirring twice daily with my "cork screw"-like stirrer.
At what point do I stop doing this ?
How stiff does it need to get before I re-warm it up again prior to jarring?

Last edited:
I'm making my first ever batch of soft set honey (only 12kg).
Last year I made a honey warming cabinet from a fridge that had been dumped in a local hedge and added a temp controller, fan and heater.
I now find that it works well as a cooler using ice packs.
I can monitor the temp using the temp controller (adjusting the settings so not to turn on the heater). The honey has now been at 14C for 2 days and I'm stirring twice daily with my "cork screw"-like stirrer.
At what point do I stop doing this ?
How stiff does it need to get before I re-warm it up again prior to jarring?
No need to re-warm, just keep it at 14 degrees for a few days until it is getting gloopy but still mobile enough to pour into your jars, with me , it's usually two to three days as long as you keep it reasonable cool after, it will only be a few more days before setting. you could even put it back into the cabinet to finish off.
I use my warming cabinet the same way, first liquefy the honey then drop the temperature to around 32 degrees , putting your seed in the cabinet as well to warm up, take the bucket and seed out to mix thoroughly whilst dropping the setting on the controller right down to a few degrees, put the seeded honey back in with two or three ice blocks whick I change once or twice a day which keeps the temp. around 13 degrees, I usually only stir once a day so twice daily is ample, once it starts setting it will carry on doing it regardless (just the speed may reduce if it's in a warm room

Last edited:
I am now on the lookout for a small table top fridge (no room for a standard size) from Freecycle or Facebook that I will adapt by replacing the existing temperature control with a digital one that I can set accurately to 14deg. Hopefully that will get over the problem of getting a decent set quickly.

No need to re-warm, just keep it at 14 degrees for a few days until it is getting gloopy but still mobile enough to pour into your jars, with me , it's usually two to three days as long as you keep it reasonable cool after, it will only be a few more days before setting. you could even put it back into the cabinet to finish off.
I use my warming cabinet the same way, first liquefy the honey then drop the temperature to around 32 degrees , putting your seed in the cabinet as well to warm up, take the bucket and seed out to mix thoroughly whilst dropping the setting on the controller right down to a few degrees, put the seeded honey back in with two or three ice blocks whick I change once or twice a day which keeps the temp. around 13 degrees, I usually only stir once a day so twice daily is ample, once it starts setting it will carry on doing it regardless (just the speed may reduce if it's in a warm room
Thanks for that. So far I'm really pleased with it. The texture is smooth with no grittiness.
I was surprised at how easy it was to keep to the temp at around 14C with just ice packs. I guess a good insulating cabinet is the answer.

Wine cooler might be what you're after?
Good shout - I spent a while looking at fridges and temps etc
A quick google and a vast array of suitable temp storage cabinets(y)

Have bitten the bullet at long last and just ordered a wine fridge - definitely need to hide that from the boss!
Wilco you’ll be getting the blame for that ;)

just ordered a wine fridge
Might be worth checking temp with a known good thermometer as ours needs to be set to 12 to get the bucket on the lower shelf at 14.

If you're warming to jar up and need to "post-cool", then baking trays are good to stop the jars falling through the gaps 😮 Again, check the temperature top to bottom as can be 4 degrees difference and may need rotating after a day.

Have bitten the bullet at long last and just ordered a wine fridge - definitely need to hide that from the boss!
Wilco you’ll be getting the blame for that ;)
Just don’t tell her it’s for honey……..she’ll probably be over the moon until you fill it with honey and there’s no room for wine🍺

I've been loading my warming cabinet with cooling packs to keep my jarred soft set cool and granulating.
Even during this hot weather I'm keeping it between 14-15deg.

I was given an old but working chest freezer this year. Combined with a heater and temp controller it is now a very good warming/cooling cabinet.
I made my best ever soft set with it this year.

Back